ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 272 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
C-H Offline OP
[Linked Image from i.kth.se]

The police in Stockholm yesterday stopped a strange looking police car. It turned out to be an Estonian police patrol on its way back from Germany.

S
Ooooohhhh!

An OPEL!!! They used to sell those in the USA.

How come the Estonian police don't drive Russian cars? You'd think they would...considering their past history.

What was that car doing in Germany anyway?

Are the German police cars still green and white?

C
C-H Offline OP

How come the Estonian police don't drive Russian cars? You'd think they would...considering their past history.

Estonians and Latvians hate Russians for the Soviet occupation. They would probably turn down a Russian car even if it was free. There are a million or so Russian in the countries and they are treated rather harshly, being denied citizenship and citizen rights and so on.

What was that car doing in Germany anyway?

Confusing the German police. [Linked Image]

Seriously, the officers had been to some exhibition there.

[This message has been edited by C-H (edited 09-24-2003).]

H
Bit of a long way round isn't it? Would it not be quicker to drive through Poland, Lithuania and Latvia?

S
PS:

C-H I forgot to ask:

Do the Stockholm Polis drive Volvos or Saabs? [Linked Image]

T
Are the German police cars still green and white?
Yeah, they are. Haven't changed much, except they got new cars.
Austrian ones are white and used to have a fluorescent orange stripe below the windows. Now they get a red stripe (both about 15 cm wide). VW Golf used to be real common, guys higher up in the police hierarchy now drive Chrysler Voyager. Volkswagen van for larger jobs.
Back in the old days they usually had Volkswagen Beetle and Puch 500 (an Austrian-made version of the Fiat 500 with different engine and transmission), usually in the Version 650TR (looked real harmless, but was absolutely lightweight (around 500kg) and had quite a heavy engine 40 to 50 HP, depending on version), so it could easily catch up with a Mercedes of those days. My Dad always tells the story of how he was used to driving a 500 at truck speed (80 km/h) uphill, and then he once drove a 650TR, going 120 up the mountain. The trucks quickly came closer!).

T

D
djk Offline
Over here in Ireland the Police (Gardai) generally drive either Ford, Opel or Toyota as patrol cars usually nothing smaller than a Mondeo or an Opel Vectra though. You rarely see very small Garda cars.

(And for anyone in the UK, we don't have Vauxhall in the Republic of Ireland for some reason but Right hand drive opels manufactured in Germany.. strange scenario something to do with Vauxhall being associated with rust)

For traffic patrols they've a few unmarked suped up high end opel omegas and volvos mostly along with some pretty powerful 4x4s like jeeps, rangerovers etc.

[Linked Image from garda.ie]

Images from www.garda.ie

S
Of course you just KNEW the forum clown was going to come up with this.

This is a NYC Sanitation Department police car. These are the guys that make sure building staff and house owners have bundled up their trash, separated their recyclables, etc. Garbage police, in other words.

Anyway....it seems like the garbage police thought it was time to throw this particular vehicle ... where else? [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

[Linked Image from members.fortunecity.com]

How did I miss it that morning on my way to work????

==

And you certainly don't want to get into a drag race with the Fukoka, Japan lawmen when you see them driving around in THIS!! [Linked Image]

[Linked Image from angelfire.com]

[This message has been edited by SvenNYC (edited 09-24-2003).]

P
The link to international police cars backs up a theory I've had from the '70s.
Police cars, including undercover 'ghost cars' never have whitewalls.
Anyone know why? I am curious.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard