ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
SlamTex Offline OP
You'll notice that I haven't made many posts on this forum. The few that I have made in the past, I made before formally introducing myself, and for that I feel that I should apologize. I have enjoyed the discussion that I have seen on this forum so far, and I'm sure that the discussion will continue to be interesting in the future.

I was an electrician in the Navy from '86 to '90 onboard the USS Ranger CV-61.
I have been in the electrical industry for over 11 years now since leaving the military. I started as an apprentice, and worked my way up though journeyman, and master electrician. About 2 years ago, I took off my tools, and became an estimator. I currently hold a Houston Master Electrician's License (HMEL #688), and I am working on getting my SBCCI Master's.
I feel that there is a fraternity amoungst electricians that exists in no other craft. We are the most respected trade on all jobs. We are one of the first crafts on the job, and usually the last to leave. We are feared by many general contractors because they know nothing about what we do, and therefore they have less "control" over us. The reasons listed above are why we usually take the most "flack" on jobs.
It is for all these reasons that I feel that it is my duty to give back to the industry as much as I possibly can. Therefore, if you have any questions that you may think that I can answer, please let me know. I welcome all questions. If I don't know the answer, I will at least try to direct you to someone who can help. I extend this invitation to all in the electrical industry no matter what race, creed, or color, and no matter what part of these United States you are from. I am extremely Blessed with a wife, and 2 kids. I respectfully submit this post to you all.

Humbly,
Slam..... [Linked Image]

S
well said Slam,
your outlook should be a model for us all!

so grab a mit & get in the game here.. [Linked Image]

S
SlamTex Offline OP
Will comply Spark! Have a nice...... [Linked Image]

HMEL 688

G
Originally posted by SlamTex:
Therefore, if you have any questions that you may think that I can answer, please let me know. I welcome all questions.

Slam,
How's the weather in Houston? :-)

GJ (also an ex-swabbie)

D
doc Offline
dang,sounds like you are a glutton for punishment,i bet there are a lot of folks like me that will wear that offer out in a hurry lol.

MAY THE SUN SHINE ON YOUR FACE IN THE MORNING AND YOU AWAKE WITH A SMILE
S
SlamTex Offline OP
The weather is good junkie, and as I'm sure you know, it's good to be a civilian. [Linked Image]

Bring on those questions doc, because I know that I will learn much from trying to answer them. Have a nice day..... [Linked Image]

W
Slam,

Its always good to have a colledge to join us in this forum. I'm sure when I say that we all have questions in this field from time to time and do appreciate answeres I'm not by myself.

Wayne

S
SlamTex Offline OP
we all have questions in this field from time to time and do appreciate answeres I'm not by myself.

I'm with you wayne, and I have to tell you that I feel like I have more questions than answers. If I have learned anything, it is this, questions keep us all "sharp", and nothing teaches me more about the NEC than "running down" code references. We used to have some heated debates in the "master's study courses" that I went through, but I would always come home, break open my code book, and learn something new.

S
Hello Slam Tex,
I seen your well written note about the trade. It's been good to me since 72. There is always something to learn. You had mentioned your an estimator. Presently I am also, but for a national laboratory here on Long Island. I too am a licensed Electrician, and find the estimating and planning diffrent in the sense that I had to drop the tools. Do you estimate for a contractor? Take it easy
Steve T.

S
SlamTex Offline OP
Steve,

I've been estimating for almost 2 years now. I work for a small electrical contractor in Spring, TX, which is just outside Houston. The majority of our work is in the Houston area.

I went down to the Joint Apprentceship Training Center yesterday, and filled out an application to become an instructor. So, it looks as if I will be a teacher as well.

As far as estimating is concerned, I mostly do commercial estimates. I know how to do residential, and industrial work, but I would have some trouble adjusting the labor units on both of those types of work. Heck, I would bet that many residential electrical contractors in my area cut their labor units by 40%, and still make money. With our electricians being used to doing commercial jobs, we would lose our shirts out there trying to compete with the "resi's". [Linked Image]

This business has taught me a lot, but I feel that I'm at the tip of the iceburg as far as learning is concerned. Out of some 40,000 electricians in the city of Houston, there are less than 700 of us who are Masters, but even with being in such a small group, I know many Journeyman who have "forgotten more about electrical work than I ever learned." So, I press forward, imparting knoweledge to those who will give ear to my words, and learning from even the "greenest apprentice" on the entire job.

What kind of estimates do you do for this laboratory? I would be interested to know.

Also, thanks for the kind words, they are well taken. Have a nice day......

Humbly,
Slam
HMEL #688

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard