ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 205 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#138406 09/08/03 10:44 AM
D
djk Offline
Tends to be Siemens, Hager and Legrand here

Never seen any of the British gear on the Irish market which is quite supprising.

Although i think ESB's main fuses are UK style but they're their own brand!

#138407 09/08/03 08:56 PM
D
I've had the occasional 'bad' RCD, the most recent one was Wylex NH range. It wouldn't trip on 30mA test setting.

I also had a problem testing a 7 year old Square D 32A/30mA RCBO a couple of months ago. I pressed the yellow test button & nothing happened, I tried again & there was the distinctive smell of burning electrics & smoke came out of the operating handle. When I subsequently tested the RCBO with my RCD tester all trip times were within spec. However I replaced the RCBO, as I did not trust it's safety after smelling burning & seeing smoke.
UK members will probably remember that last summer there was a recall of Sq. D RCBO's manufactured between 1997 & 99.
Has anyone else had similar experiences with Sq. D RCBO's?

PaulUK,
Like you I was unimpressed by Hager consumer units when I first saw them in the early 90's, but a couple of years ago I was persuaded to try the new Hager Vision range & I was converted. The new units are of very high quality, with loads of wiring room compared to most rival manufacturers. These are now my first choice for domestic consumer units. The only draw back I have found is when replacing an existing board the earth cores may not be long enough to reach the earth bar - located on the left side- unless there is a bit of slack cable. Where I know this will be a problem I use Wylex NH range split load. It doesn't have anything like the same wiring room, but the earth bar is located on the top, making it likely existing wires will reach without joints.

I also like Hager Invicta 63 three phase boards for industrial / commercial work.

I don't think I have had a faulty Hager RCD, but I noticed they now have a serial number printed on them, could this be to help identify counterfeit products?

#138408 09/09/03 07:35 AM
P
OK, maybe I'll have to give Hager another try.

Square D doesn't seem to be very common around this area. Few local suppliers stock the range, and it's quite rare that I see any Sq. D stuff installed.

Past electricians in this area seem to have been big supporters of MEM switchgear. If I go into any house or small shop which has obviously not been rewired in the last 20 years or so, I'd say there's about a 90% chance it will be MEM equipment, with Wylex Standard Range a not-very-close second.

However I replaced the RCBO, as I did not trust it's safety after smelling burning & seeing smoke.
Good call. It's hard to trust any component after that.

#138409 09/10/03 01:28 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Can anyone please tell me where Square D stuff is made these days?. [Linked Image]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard