ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#13828 09/12/02 09:19 PM
H
A builder told me today that he wanted to knock a few bucks off his bill because he's not going to have us wire up the appliances (i.e. dishwasher, range, cooktop, etc.) from now on.

I told him that I would love to "knock a few bucks off" except that he doesn't pay me to wire up appliances in the first place. If the dishwasher happens to get delivered and I am working the finish that day I might slide it in under the counter and connect the wire but I don't charge him for it. He pays for me to supply wiring to the point of junction not to install the appliance. Am I wrong here? Shouldn't the people who are delivering the appliances and charging him an install fee be making those final connections?

Is there a standard?

E
Everybody does it different. I've had contractors use appliance installers and that's fine with me, but it's not going to change my bill much. I will take a few bucks off if I don't have to install a double oven, but not for the dishwasher. I won't "install" a cooktop with a downdraft either way, but I will wire it once they install it.

If you want to continue working for the contractor and he pays good, then take off a few bucks ($10ea) for the large appliances, but stand firm on the small ones that only take 2 minutes to install.

Happi,

The delivery people don't connect/disconnect appliances where I'm from. They would be required to be Licensed.

I personally would rather not have to do them, but I think it is the Electricians' responsibility. If someone asked me that I would insist that the builder sign something saying he was responsible for hookup and have it noted on any Inspection certificates that I did not make the final connections.

Bill

Bill
H
That's the thing - its usually the dishwasher too. For instance today - i stopped by this finish on my way out to hook up the dishwasher - the oven, the cooktop and everything else was already hooked up...
That's what I'm talking about - I don't usually hook up the appliances...

H
Here in NJ I would wire up the appliance and I would charge for it. However I would not install it. I lft that up to the appliance installers. I didn't have the tools to cut formica nor did I want to take a chance.

C
What do you guys do about the Range Hoods? Around here the Tinbashers supply them and we always seem to be hanging them. Dishwashers always seem to get us brownie points though for how simple they are.

Heck, I've installed icemakers just to keep the peace...

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
S
I make any appliance i can a receptacled device, (422.16..et all..) under sink , usually a 2 circuit deal if there is a pig, micro receptacle in upper cabinet, etc....

the GC can cut corners where s/he likes, it's then up to the appliance guys to come when they like, & provide the proper pigtail...

E
I wire all appliances that I provide branch circuits for.

If I did not provide the branch circuit then I have to do a little snooping around $$$$ to determine if the circuit is sized properly to connect.

M
Hi Sparky;
Showing off my ignorance again...what is a "pig"? [Linked Image]

Sorry...I think I figgered it out (kinda slow today)...Pigtail.

Mike (mamills)

[This message has been edited by mamills (edited 09-13-2002).]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard