ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 373 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Hey Happi,We seem to do the disposals,dish washers.But like the dryers adding the pigtail is not usually part of our deal.We will do it if provided at the time of us being there.Boss wants everyone smilely faced at the end of a job.But under no circumstances do we install anything that has to be leveled or plumbed We`ll slide in the DW but not bolt to cabinet.The range hoods are done after instalation they hang it and put in the romex connector we leave on the wire with a big note use this connector for hood wire leave wire inside electrician will hook up.

H
Yeah - the reason I ask in the first place is because I want to do what is expected of us of course...but normally when we do go by to hook up the dishwasher the oven and cooktop are already installed and wired into the junction that we provided.

I mean if the oven comes and the cabinet isn't cut out to the proper size (which happens frequently) - what am I gonna do whip out my sawzall and make it fit? I don't think so...

R
mamills,

Close, but no cigar!! [Linked Image]
Pig = GD

M
Redsy: Thanks! I'll put that in my glossary...like that term. [Linked Image]

Mike (mamills)

S
yup...like the Flinestones! [Linked Image]

A
We always install the appliances if they are electric. We dont usually install the cord on the dryer. I charge for appliance installation on a different scale. 18 bucks for the recept to make you microwave work but an extra $50 to mount it in the cabinet with the pretty trim kit. Remote blower hood... get out the check book!

E
In my work which consists of MANY kitchen renovations I do not install appliances. The kitchen people install them and I connect them. Oddly enough when there is one guy on the job, the appliances are ready to go in, which means I get to help! A couple of months ago I damaged (broke) a $1200.00 electric cooktop. Bad Bad day! Thank goodness for insurance.

Cord connections, especially those designed for 50 amp electric ranges, and 30 amp electric clothes dryers, when installed by a lazy person, will usually avoid installation of the required connector that will secure the cord to the frame of the equipment.

In the 70's, while inspecting an apartment house in Glendale, California I found that the appliance people who were delivering the equipment put the cords through the open razor sharp hole, and threw away the connector.

Well, I sat there in my car, or on my harley servi-car {can't remember}, and noted that situation on the back of my permit.

On the final inspection I asked the installer to pull a few of the ranges, and dryers away from the wall!

There were 250 units. I said nothing except that I could not final the job, and would be happy to return when all of the 500 cords were properly installed.

I would like to hear from anyone who is reading this message (now is the time to post your first message) who finds this in their own home or apartment.

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
C
Joe - I would have to agree with you. Most of the large appliances I see do not have any type of connector on the cord. I think part of the reason for this is that the connectors they include with the cords many times will not work well with the hole in the appliance but that is no excuse for not installing one that will work. If new appliances are being installed at a project we are working on I always tell the general contractor to pay us to install the cords. I often use a standard 3/4" or 1" 2-screw cable connector. Another problem that I am starting to see when unqualified people install the cords is that they fail to remove the jumper from the neutral to the frame when installing 4-wire cords. Failing to remove this jumper turns our equipment grounding system into a parallel neutral path.

As far as installing other appliance we will always make the electrical connections but that's as far as we go.

Curt

Curt Swartz
[Linked Image]

This is the connector described above, and it is the "only" one that should be used.

The connector should be installed with one part of the rounded clamp inside of the equipment knockout, and the other part on the outside of the knockout.

It is not difficult and I hope someone can produce the instructions that come with the overall assembly.

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard