ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
Hmm. This is quite thought provoking.

There have been various rules introduced here in recent years which have resulted in many second-hand places (aka "Junk shops") refusing to sell electrical equipment anymore for fear of having some Trading Standards officer descend upon them clutching his rule book.

One unfortunate aspect is that some places will sell a vintage radio as "For collectors only - Not to be used," to cover themselves, and to reinforce that they resort to the sheer vandalism of cutting off the cord at the back and throwing it away.

As getting authentic replacements for some types is getting very difficult, this is particularly annoying, and it makes me mad to think that this is all down to some bureaucrats ruling that really should never have been applied to existing equipment in the first place.

You step into legal problems where you actually install NEMA outlets (even at 110/120V) in a building.
So if I wanted to permanently install NEMA receptacles run from a 120V tranformer to feed the U.S. equipment on my bench, would that actually be illegal? (In a private residence.)

By the way, I can't recall if you've already answered this, but are 110V power tools common on building sites in Ireland?

P
EXCLUDED ELECTRICAL DEVICES

4. Any non-I.S. 401:1997 plug supplied loose which is manufactured to comply with the safety provisions of IEC 884-1 and which is marked with or accompanied by a warning that it is not suitable for connections to a mains socket in the State or the United Kingdom.
Ah... So as you stated above, you can sell, say, an NEMA 1-15 plug so long as it comes with a warning.

There's seems to be another catch in the requirement to meet IEC 884-1 though. I'm not familiar that standard. Does anybody know its basic requirements?

C
C-H Offline

Ah... So as you stated above, you can sell, say, an NEMA 1-15 plug so long as it comes with a warning.

That's the way it works in Sweden too. They have Japanese plugs and sockets on sale here. (Labled as American)

These sockets appear to be legal (found on step down transformers) if the sockets are recessed or a have a protective rim to prevent fingers from touching the live prongs. This really is the only reason you can't sell NEMA sockets in the EU.

There's seems to be another catch in the requirement to meet IEC 884-1 though. I'm not familiar that standard. Does anybody know its basic requirements?

Now that's quite some loophole! IEC 60884-1 Plugs and socket-outlets for household and similar purposes: General Requirements is one of the most widely accepted standards in the world. It has been reworked and amended over the years to cover almost all plugs and sockets including NEMA plugs. It is unusual in the sense that it's used directly in its IEC form and not in an adopted EN form.

D
djk Offline OP
Paul,

Yup, ALL power tools used on building sites or for commercial work i.e. anything other than some guy drilling a hole in his living room wall, must be 110V connected with yellow ceeform plugs (like in the UK)
(centre tapped xformer 55V + 55V (ish))

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard