ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 261 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
D
djk Offline OP
I stumbled across this video from 1970. Was broadcast on TV in the UK as a public safety message to make sure that people actually used plugs rather than simply inserting bare cables into the socket outlets using matchsticks (apparently a common practice in the 1970s!!!)
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/xtraspace/pif_a-l/electricitykills.rm

I'm completely stunned that this video was ever necessary!

Did people really do that????

BTW: If you're of a sensitive nature : i.e. can't take really bad acting.. don't look at this video!

[This message has been edited by djk (edited 08-17-2003).]

C
C-H Offline
Erm... I have to admit doing this on occassion. But in a Schuko socket you can at least tie the earth wire to the side earth.

P
We had a very brief discussion on a couple of these films a few months back:
https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum14/HTML/000360.html

Did you see the Frisbee film , on the same site? I remember that one well, and the background accompaniment to it still gives me the creeps now!

I've still kept a look out for the "Play Safe" series online, but not found any. I believe a couple of them are available on commercial videotape, along with other favorites like "Charlie says never go with men or ladies you don't know."

[Linked Image from 625.uk.com]

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 08-17-2003).]

S
Yep im guilty of doing this when i was a kid [Linked Image]

HERE is a good site to see all those old PIF`s (Public informatiom films) + loads of other old ads, my favourite has to be the old PG Tips ads with the monkeys [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by sanUK (edited 08-17-2003).]

T
Common practice at flea markets etc: Take apart round ungrounded plug and push the bare pins into Schuko receptacle with a screwdriver. Seen that several times.
Or the infamous receptacle/lightbulb tester: A standard light socket with bulb of any wattage from 15 to 100W and a 15cm piece of 2wire cord, black and blue ends sticking into mid-air. Take wire ends and stick them into the receptacle.

D
djk Offline OP
Plenty of people still do the old stick a screwdriver (or whatever comes in handy) into the top "hole" of a UK socket and jam in a Europlug (2.5amp schuko wont fit) when the shutters open.

I'm sure it's not a very safe practice considering how dumb some people are!

Using bare wires is a little scarier though.

P
Just about everyone who works on this stuff in the British Isles has mastered the knack of opening the shutters with a meter probe.

From probes in hand to probes in line & neutral should take under 2 seconds! [Linked Image]

Paul,
When I first started using a Duspol tester, the sockets over here, never had Shutters in them and I went to push the pins into the socket apertures on the first socket that did, there was a bit of a plastic-like "Crack!", I thought I had broken the socket and duly replaced it, only to find out 2 days later that safety shutters had been introduced, months ago!. [Linked Image]
Went back and put the old socket back in(it was OK), at no charge. [Linked Image]

P
Many newer types of BS1363 outlets are moving away from the earth-pin-operated shutter mechanism in favor of a type which requires simultaneous and equal pressure on the line and neutral shutters.

The latter have a shaped edge (hard to describe), and inserting meter probes into these means pushing the probes simultaneously on the top left of one shutter and the bottom right of the other (or bottom left and top right).

The latest designs apparently require pressure on all three points to open, although I've not come across any of these yet.

D
djk Offline OP
The only manufacturer who's gone that route that I've seen is MK.

The shutters are also designed not to be opened by the equal pressure that a Europlug might place on it. They're shaped so the pressure must be applied from the outer edge, something only the genuine plug can acheive.

Link Copied to Clipboard