ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
Just to let you know, that one of the discount supermarkets in my area, according to the promotional leaflet dropped through my letter-box, will next week be selling extension leads for heavy duty use, with the following comment!!!
"with 16amp fuse for use with appliances up to 3.5kw"
The picture clearly shows a BS1363 type plug!
Comments any one ?

P
Hmm..... I don't doubt that the well-engineered BS1363 plugs and sockets (e.g. MK) would carry 16A without any problems, but I don't sede this as a good path to be taking. Let's face it, some of the "el cheapo" contract-range stuff gets warm with a 10A load on it due to poorly designed contacts.

Have you thought about writing the supermarket and explaining that the BS1363 specification doesn't cater for over 13 amps?

P
I've just noticed that this leaflet has two pictures, one for a extension socket with surge protector, and the CE and BSI kite-mark symbols next to image (No mention of "16amp" on this item).
The other image, for the 2 "16amp" items, shows a picture for a 4 way/15mtr cable item, and a picture of a 1 way/25mtr cable item. However, the symbols next to these are the CE and the German GS symbol, not the BSI symbol.

[This message has been edited by Plugman (edited 03-20-2004).]

D
djk Offline OP
It's possible that their information is incorrect and that they've quoted schuko stats.

I wouldn't trust BS1363 with 16A loads I've seen far too many slightly burned sockets despite the sturdy pins the sockets contacts don't appear to give a lot of surface area and the pins can get warm, particularly on cheapo sockets where they loosen up with use.

Regardless how high quality the plug is no one can be sure what kind of socket it's being plugged into.

I also suspect that as schuko 16A plugs are fully recessed and do not need sheathed pins that the surface area of the pin used to make contact could be signifigantly larger than BS1363 which has most of the pin shrouded in plastic and only makes contact when the plug is inserted very deelply into the socket.

Keeping the pins completely out of reach has a lot of advantages. The smaller Europlugs only carry tiny loads so the shrouding doesn't really matter. I notice that many heavier class II appliences, eg vacuum cleaners use contour plugs that keep the pins out of reach while inserting too... same as schuko just witout the ground contacts.

Similar principle used by Ceeform (CEE 17) too except the plug is "recessed" rather than the socket allows for quite a lot of contact area on the pins.

Recessing BS1363 at this stage would be impossible as there is no standard plug shape. They're all slightly or even substantially different ranging from square to contoured.

[This message has been edited by djk (edited 03-20-2004).]

P
Thanks to Plugman for scanning and sending me the ad in question, which is from the Lidl supermarket:

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 03-20-2004).]

P
djk, you may be interested to know, that this supermarket has branches in Eire and N.Ireland and is now offering this item as a special offer at Euro 11.99, on it's Irish website.
The wording is a little different from the U.K. website version, but the following comments are made:-
"16A,250V,max 3500W - Intertek/GS certified"
I hope you're right about it possibly being incorrect info attached to the relevant pictures, otherwise these "16amp" items will be on sale all over U.K./Ireland !

[This message has been edited by Plugman (edited 03-20-2004).]

D
djk Offline OP
I suspect they've accidently posted / printed Schuko details.

Where would you even get a 16A fuse to BS1362 specs?

I will go take a look later [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by djk (edited 03-21-2004).]

C
C-H Offline
I hate to point out the obvious, but there is no fuse in a shucko plug. Makes a simple typo less likely. The Lidl ads for schuko extension I've seen only have the CE mark.

P
Good point C-H. Maybe Lidl is just trying to get Brits used to seeing 16A in an attempt to introduce Shucko here. [Linked Image]

C
C-H Offline
LOL!

It could also be that Lidl has made a version of the British plug that can be used in Germany, intended to replace schuko [Linked Image]

Intertek is connected to Semko and now have offices in the UK. As I understand it they issue the GS mark and maybe the S mark for British products. Someone had an example of a Nemko-marked BS1362 fuse some time ago. On Interteks website you can search for S and ETL-listed products, but not GS.

[This message has been edited by C-H (edited 03-21-2004).]

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard