ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
This has always a worry to me,, here in the uk the flex that supplies electric lawn mowers is always 2 core.. if the blade slices thru the flex with out any contact to earth the RCD will remain on, it is unlikley that the fues would blow because of the speed of the blade,,

the worst that could happen is the gardner with his wellies on could place his finger on the bare flex and recive an electric shock, straight across live and neutral,, rcd would still not trip..

i feel for the cost differance manufactuers should use 3 core flex,,

Thoughts??

G
I agree Paul, but what has always concerned me is that there is no guarantee the mower is on an RCD in the first place. Further, excessive dampness ingress can bypass the double insulation !

P
ermm never thought of that..

but your right we forget about dampness.. the only good thing these days,in most new houses the ring mains are rcd protected..

P
One thing which concerns me is the way that the RCD is marketed here.

Obviously its use is a good thing when outdoor power tools are involved, but I've run into many people who have been given the impression that with an RCD there is no way they can receive a dangerous shock.

They seem genuinely surprised when I've explained that in certain situations it would still be quite possible for somebody to be electrocuted even with an RCD in line.

P
Blame Esther Ranson..

i remember when she did her programme (thats life) she pushed RCDs or in those days ELCBs,,the electrician i served my time with rang the BBC to say that these may not prevent you having a shock in every instance..

they said thanks for the call

by the way,,, how do keep you pc to remember your pass word and user name.. i have to keep typing them in

B
PaulC -- Under 'preferences' at the page top under the 'post new topic' button, you are given the option...

"Store Username & Password in browser memory for 1 year (otherwise you will have to type your username and password once per browser session)" yes no

P
Ah yes.... They probably weren't able to squeeze in anything more about the subject, otherwise they would have had to cut out something like the beer-drinking snail or the water-skiing dog..... [Linked Image]

K
RCDs are GFCIs?

Karl

P
Yes. RCD=Residual Current Device, which is equivalent to the GFCI.

I'll post a more thorough description in the Earthing Systems thread.

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 08-29-2003).]

T
2 core flex for lawnmowers????? Ugh!
In Schukjo countries there aren't any 2core extension cords any more, so people are simply forced to use a 3core cord with Schuko plug and trailing socket.
Still there are ugly stories about cut cords. The neighbour girl at my aunt's (guess she was about 14 back then) was mowing the lawn (probably lazy 'cause she didn't want the job) and cut right through the cord. My aunt said she flew right through the air from the shock. What I don't know though is how the current got into the handle of the mower, since they're usually plastic covered.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard