ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 267 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
C-H Offline
Pauluk and Djk,

I don't think UL or manufacturers would want the UL mark to be valid in Europe, since it would make American manufacturers liable in Europe without ever having intended to sell the product there! Then you'd have to put up some other barrier to trade instead.

In the cases where the EN and UL standards are the same, if UL has tested it the manufacturer can safely apply the CE mark too. (If the voltage match and there is no non-electrical requirement.) So far the only standard that I know has been harmonised is EN/UL 60950, Computers and similar stuff (No, that's not the official name [Linked Image] ) But they are working on it. (IEC 947 is transferred in some form too, which is why you can find UL listed breakers of this type.)

Back on topic:

Elect,

The only outstanding issue I have is regarding the RCD.

Is this something that is typically required at the main power distribution for the plant or is it necessary to provide this on each piece of equipment that is connect to the IT system?

The purpose of an RCD in a IT system is to prevent high-impedance faults between systems with separate earth (ground) systems.

As you already know, the transformer is ungrounded. Instead the earth conductors from the equipment are connected to each other and possibly to an earth rod. Thereby a double fault on different phases (or phase-neutral) will trip the breaker(s) by short-circuiting via the earth conductor.

This wouldn't require an RCD. However, in a system serving several buildings each building may have its own earthing system. This means that an earth fault in building A and a fault in building B will not trip the breaker. But there can still be high impedance paths where the current can flow. This is where the RCD comes in. In case of a fault between the earthing systems, the RCD will trip before the current between them is high enough to be a danger.

Therefore, it would seem sufficient to provide one for each earthing system. But I'm not familiar with French regulations!

I guess I have the same issue with the PIM. Not sure where to find this info.

PIM is a term I'm not familiar with.

I will quote DJK since he got a very good point:

If I were you I would contact an electrical contractor in France who deals with industrial installations.

You should really get the equipment inspected and if possible signed off by a local expert to remove any legal risk!

This will save you trouble, risk and most likely money. In fact, you probably can't do it without local assistance.

Have a look at www.ieconsult.fr The have a number of technical papers online. If the answers aren't there, you can hire them to help you.

Remember, free advice on the Internet is worth what you pay for it. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by C-H (edited 08-17-2003).]

C
C-H Offline
Better add that there are a lot more things to IT systems than I wrote. Here is a long technical paper from France on it (in English)

The IT earthing system (unearthed neutral) in LV

P
C-H,
PIM = Permanent Insulation Monitor, a unit installed on an ungrounded system to signal any ground fault.

Elect,
I'll echo the recommendations to browse the IEConsult website. They have some interesting reference documents on many aspects of electrical systems, and originate in France.

E
Elect Offline OP
Gentlemen,

Just got back in the office today. Thank you for all the information and references.

Regards

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard