ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#138063 08/12/03 12:30 PM
W
wil75mt Offline OP
I don't know if anybody has picked up on the results of the Part P consultation document (link: http://www.odpm.gov.uk/stellent/groups/odpm_buildreg/documents/pdf/odpm_breg_pdf_023509.pdf)

has anybody got any comments on the implications of this.

Specifically my understanding is that if you are not NICEIC or ECA registered then under this legislation your are going to be considered non competent, even though you are an electricial time served apprentice, you have all the C&G qualifications and bags of experiance.

tell me it aint so!!!

P
Well hope thats not the case,, i've been a spark since leaving school, i am now 42, (god that seems like a life time).

I have followed up a lot of NICEIC enrolled contractors and seen some bad work, just because you have NICEIC on your van it doesnt make you a good spark..

Sub contracted to a local firm not long ago who only wires new houses, must point out not my kinda work, anyway i asked him at what point do we test the instalation, his reply never have done, we always just guess the readings,,, yep an NICEIC contractor.

Wow are you open to a legal battle there if anything goes wrong or someone has an accident.
i must point out i am an ex NICEIC member and would be hard pressed to join again.

C
ChrisO

W
wil75mt Offline OP
Hi Paul

Yikes!!!

NICEIC pride themselves in the work they undertake and I am sure that they would be interested to hear from you about dodgy work (tel: 0207 564 2327 and ask for Tony).

Part of the terms or enrolement relates to full compliance with BS7671 and as you know testing and certification is a requirement.

We really need to stamp these "Rogue Traders" from our industry as they besmirch the rest of us with their cowboy activities and rip off attitude.

Blow me, there is enough money to be made in electrics without cutting corners.

P
You all might like to refer back to this thread from a few months ago:
https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum9/HTML/000255.html

L
WilL,
It aint so! You will not have to be NICEIC or ECA but you will have to be a competent enterprise registered under the electro-technical assessment scheme currently being developed under the auspices of the IEE. If you are NICEIC or ECA you will have fulfilled the criteria required by the scheme.
There is no huge hurry but find out early rather than later what the expected criteria is.

regards

lyle dunn
W
wil75mt Offline OP
Hi lyledunn

I have just been on the Phone with Ian Bromley of the ODPM (in fact whilst your e-mail was flashing on my screen)

Currently neither the NICEIC or ECA (through BRE)have applied to run a competent person schemes, but he does expect them too before the 15th Oct.

SELECT and CORGI are also thought to be interested....

The implementation date of the new legislation could be as early as April 2004, but is thought to be July -Sept 2004.

The amount of NICEIC / ECA electricians which have accredition is only about 12,000 (from about 61,000 dedicated electricians in the UK), but until the Gov say these scheme are the benchmark, even NICEIC / ECA aren't Currently in a position to comply

Link Copied to Clipboard