ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
B

Belgian,
Presumably all houses wired this way use the TT earthing system?

Not only 3x230V use TT system. ALL residential and small buisinesses use TT system in Belgian.

B
Question from the left side of the pond on ratings…is "3x230" 230V ø-ø or ø-n...for 3ø 4-wire?

And, one more time…a TT system is a solidly-grounded at the wye/neutral point of the serving {utility-owned} transformer, right?

P
The 3x230V nomenclature is a peculiar (from our perspective) way of specifying that the supply is 3-wire, no neutral provided, with 230V between phases. In other words, it's a 127/220 wye (or 133/230 I suppose, nowadays) system, grounded on the star point but without a neutral distributed to each house. Some parts of Europe did use 127/220 4-wire in the past with 127V appliances.

Yes, TT has a solidly grounded neutral at the supply transformer. But the grounding busbar (and thus the EGCs to the circuits) are grounded only to a local rod. They are not bonded to the neutral in any way, so the sole ground-fault current path is the earth.

John,
I think you're referring to Nikola Tesla, who did a lot of development work on AC machines. He often seems to be the "forgotten pioneer" in some electrical histories.

B
That covers it. Thanks for the details, Paul. I suppose such a setup is a good reason for ELCBs?

P
Yep -- The TT system results in a high loop impedance, which necessitates the use of an ELCB/RCCB/RCD (or whatever they're calling it this year!) for ground-fault protection.

D
djk Offline
JohnS:

The 25Hz systems in use in the US were never used in Europe though. So I don't see how European 50Hz had anything to do with the Niagra Falls system etc? So I doubt it was economy issue.

During the early days of Electricity in Europe the German company, AEG, was the European equivilant of Westinghouse or Edison. It came up with many of the very early DC tram systems. However, there is evidence of AEG 50Hz 3-phase systems very early on. They made a lot of sense for industrial drives etc. By 1920 220/380V 50hz was adopted in Ireland for example and it had been around for a good few years before that.

AEG and Siemens in paticular seem to have developed a huge proportion of the features of the commercial electrical systems used in Europe today.

P
25Hz was used during the installation of the 25kV AC railway systems in Britain.

I'm not certain, but I think they may have changed them to 50Hz now.

J
JohnS Offline OP
I think you're referring to Nikola Tesla, who did a lot of development work on AC machines. He often seems to be the "forgotten pioneer" in some electrical histories.

No, it was not Nikola Tesla i was thinking of, it was Karl Steinmetz.

See:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=Steinmetz&as_q=%22Alternating+Current%22
http://inventors.about.com/library/inventors/blsteinmetz.htm

D
djk Offline
I doubt any railway company in their right mind would use any AC frequency other than 50Hz in a 50Hz country unless they wanted to either generate all the power themselves and loose the ability to buy it commercially or else spend a fortune on electrical gear to change frequency!

Producing DC's not such a huge problem but with modern variable speed drives etc etc. it doesn't seem to offer any advantage.

C
C-H Offline
Germany, Sweden and a couple of other countries use 16 2/3 Hz for trains.

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard