ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#137455 07/10/03 08:21 PM
D
djk Offline
In Ireland the red circle signs never mean prohibited, infact the exact opposite! If something's in a red circle it means that it's a regulatory sign and must be obeyed.. e.g. an arrow pointing left in a red circle = keep left. These are gradually being replaced by the standard European white on blue signs to prevent confusion!

Prohibited = Red circle with a line crossed through it.

No Entry (Unique to IRL as far as I know but very logical)
[Linked Image from europcar.ie]

Straight ahead only (one way system):

Normal Yeild sign:

Here's a Yeild sign in an Irish speaking area on the west coast:
[Linked Image from leafpile.com]

These also appear everywhere:
[Linked Image from accesscarrentals.com]

Our guy looks less like he's working with an umbrella:

[Linked Image from athlone.ie]

This one is VERY obvious: (At docks/rivers/quays)

#137456 07/10/03 08:30 PM
D
djk Offline
There are also special orange diamonds for Roadworks

Some more uniquely irish examples:
[Linked Image from elve.net]
[Linked Image from elve.net]

And our VERY confusing direction signs, found at all rural intersections and can have up to 30 finger posts pointing towards every village (classified as a place having more than one house)
[Linked Image from isye.gatech.edu]

[This message has been edited by djk (edited 07-10-2003).]

#137457 07/11/03 05:32 AM
P
pauluk Offline OP
I thought the background to some of those signs looked familiar -- I guess we've been visiting the same websites! [Linked Image]

I've always found the signs in Ireland quite curious: A unique mixture of British/European and American, with a few home-grown signs thrown in for good measure. (That's the way it appears to an outsider, anyway.) The keep-left sign at Irish roundabouts is one which has always struck me as odd-looking:

[Linked Image from smartdriving.co.uk]

Have they finished changing all the direction signs to kilometers yet? Last time I was there you had to check carefully to see if a marker was in miles or km.

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 07-11-2003).]

#137458 07/11/03 08:27 AM
D
djk Offline
Paul,

Well, no not really, all new signs post-1970s are in KM and have KM written on them. There is supposed to be a change of speed limits to KMPH at some stage too which would actually involve moving away from the standard EU circular speed limit signs to something that looks substantially different to avoid confusion between MPH and KMPH

At the moment in very rural areas you'll still find the odd sign in miles on a cast iron fingerpost sign with the old road numbering system too!

The current road numbering system has 3 categories:

R- Regional route (3-digit number) e.g. R-604
N- National Primary / Secondary Route N-17
and M- Motorway M-7

The old system had T- Trunk
and L- Link

#137459 07/12/03 05:59 AM
P
pauluk Offline OP
I think I saw a couple of the old T and L route signs when I was there: Most confusing as the numbers bear no resemblance to the new N/R system!

Nothing whatever to do with electrical matters now, but it doesn't hurt to go off at a tangent every now and then: [Linked Image]

British roads are classified as A (primary) and B (secondary) routes. Some of the largest A-roads are classed as trunk routes and have a T suffix, e.g. A12(T). There is actually a very complex scheme as to how the roads were originally numbered, although to most people it appears to be quite random. Motorways (expressways) are designated with M numbers and blue signs.

French roads have N (National) and D (Department) numbers, the latter being the equivalent of our counties. Expressways have A numbers (Autoroute).

#137460 07/12/03 07:52 AM
T
Austrian roads have a pretty simple numbering scheme. County roads aren't numbered at all IIRC, Federal Roads (roads connecting larger towns) have B numbers (for Bundesstrasze, meaning they are competence of the government, not the county) like B1 (from Vienna to Salzburg) or B221. Then we got the "Schnellstraszen", something between Federal roads and Expressways, having an S number and a speed limit of 120 km/h as opposed to 100 on anything below. They can look like full expressways with blue signs and everything, but sometimes also like simple small roads, only with blue signs and overtaking prohibited (double white line between the directions). Then we got expressways, 130 km/h speed limit and A number (Autobahn), like A1 (West expressway, Vienna to Salzburg) or A2 (South expressway, to Styria, Carynthia and eventually the Italian border).

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard