ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
C-H Offline OP
This is the switch with cover

[Linked Image from i.kth.se]

And this is a switch without cover.

[Linked Image from i.kth.se]

This may look familiar to Europeans, but I think it will look very unfamiliar to our American friends. This is a watertight switch, and the blue arrow is just there to show the way the water flows through the switch. But all switches, be they outdoor, indoor, in wall or on wall, have the same red 'core' with six terminals. There is however a range of different switching configurations to choose from. Two/three way, four way, double pole and so on.

I'll leave it to you to figure out how to wire this beast. And can you figure out what 2+1 means?

P
Interesting. I take it that the rockers clip onto the switch bodies. I've seen some weatherproof LeGrand switches used here that are similar, although the connection arrangements weren't the same.

Do they mark the terminals in any specific way for each configuration, or are you left to just test with a meter?

Re 2+1: Two switches plus single-gang box????

T
Weird thing. All weatherproof switches of that kind I've seen for quite some time have grey or yellowish guts and 4 backstab terminals, some of them unused depending on waht kind of switch it is. 2 of the terminals are usually labeled "P", the remaining 2 usually not at all. The second P terminal is unused with anything but 4way switches, the 2 unlabeled terminals are either the 2 travelers or the 2 lamp wires in case of a double switch like this one. Single pole switches are practically non-existant (haven't seen one all the time I'm buying electrictal stuff, and that's more than 10 years now, I think they disappeared in the mid-80ies).

C
C-H Offline OP

Do they mark the terminals in any specific way for each configuration, or are you left to just test with a meter?

The former. On the back there is also a schematic.

Re 2+1: Two switches plus single-gang box????

Hint: It's about the switching configuration. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by C-H (edited 07-03-2003).]

P
Hmm.....

For a 3-way, maybe it refers to 2 travelers plus one common?

Or for two straight switches could it be 2 switches plus one common feed terminal?

Ranger,
Wouldn't it just be easier to have a IP rated enclosure and exclude ALL moisture, rather than let moisture through the switch body?.
Also, does 2+1 refer to a two-way switch + 1 looping terminal?.
Just wondering,mate! [Linked Image]

C
C-H Offline OP

For a 3-way, maybe it refers to 2 travelers plus one common?
One two way switch and one straight switch. And yes, it's rather unusual.

Now, why are the three teminals marked

N(eutral), B(lind) and L(ine)

if the neutral goes to the single pole switch?

T
Sorry Trumpy, I don't really get you. Our switches _are_ in an IP 44 or higher enclosure, it's just the rocker, a thin piece of plastic that clips onto the front, like in the pictures. There's a front cover which is already taken off in the second pic.

AH-HA,
Now I get what you are suggesting!. [Linked Image]
So that plate in behind the two blue(moisture) arrows, is there to screw it to the wall?.
We had switches, that looked a wee bit like this, over here in the 80's.

P

Now, why are the three teminals marked
N(eutral), B(lind) and L(ine)
if the neutral goes to the single pole switch?
Maybe Norwegian is using their equivalent of the term neutral in a different sense to the way we do? No idea about Blind. [Linked Image]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard