ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 248 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
C-H Offline OP
Valley Time Forgot Emerges from Dark

Mon June 2, 2003 09:47 AM ET

CWM BREFI, Wales (Reuters) - Tucked deep in the Welsh mountains, Cwm Brefi will this week become the last village in Britain to connect to the electricity network.
Until now the 11 households in Cwm Brefi, in a valley dotted with grazing sheep between steep wooded hills, have relied on diesel-powered generators.

"It's always been like this and we had grown to accept it. It will be quite strange," said farmer Eleri Davies, who is looking forward to a mains supply after 18 years in the valley.

The birthplace of the Industrial Revolution, Britain first installed an electricity grid over a century ago.

Cwm Brefi's new power provider, Western Power Distribution, said the village's remoteness and distance from the main network made the cost of installation an obstacle.

Smallholder Julie Hutchings said every resident knew exactly how much power each appliance used.

"You have to get your sums right. We can't have the washing machine and hoover (vacuum cleaner) on at the same time."

The people of Cwm Brefi are now eagerly anticipating using all the forbidden appliances later this week.

Hutchings wants a toaster, her stepfather and mother have bought a breadmaker, and her son Patrick is counting down the days to putting lights on the Christmas tree.

Wow,

What are they going to do with all that quiet?

[Linked Image]
Bill

Bill
B
...As long as the electricity doesn't cost £1.50 per slice for toast.

P
Well, I can't even find Cwm Brefi on the map. It's not listed in the index of the standard Ordnance Survey (4 miles per inch) atlas, but then with only 11 houses I guess that's understandable!

P.S. [hushed voice...] Don't give 'em ideas, but they'll be wanting telephones and TV next! [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 06-06-2003).]

B
Certainly they wouldn't skimp on anything less than full-blown 230Y/400 for every house! ;-)

Just a small aside, if I may.
How would this place name be pronounced?.
Would the C be spoken as a K or an S?. [Linked Image]

H
A hard 'c' i.e. K.
A 'w' is a hard 'u' as in 'could'.

P
If you think Cwm Befi is hard to pronounce, you should see some of the other place names in Wales! [Linked Image] They're a great source of confusion for English tourists. Here are a few picked out of my UK road atlas:

Cefngorwydd, Pontrhydfendigaid, Gwyddgrug, Llanfair Clydogau, Llanllyfni, Llanynghenedl, Llanymawddwy,
Glyndyfrdwy, Llanssantffraed-Cwmdeuddwr, Betws-y-coed, Ysbyty Ystwyth.

That's enough to make any English spelling checker give up in despair! [Linked Image]

The common LLAN- prefix in Welsh is pronounced something like "clan", but you need to make a strong a "huh" sound as you pronounce the hard C.

Makes those Maori names look quite simple, doesn't it? [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 06-08-2003).]

Paul,
Check this one out,mate!
Longest place name in the world:
(And yes, it is Maori!)

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Webmaster (edited 06-14-2003).]

P
Ah.... I think I've seen a picture of that sign somewhere before. [Linked Image]

The longest place name we can manage in Britain is:

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

According to a website on the place it translates as:
"St. Mary's Church in a hollow of the white hazel near to the rapid whirlpool and St. Tysil's Church of the red cave."

It's both the longest place name and railway station name in Europe. Locals know it as Llanfair PG.

Well, they'd have to wouldn't they? [Linked Image]
http://www.grossi.co.uk/wales/pnames.htm

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard