ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 595 guests, and 43 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
lyle -- See https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum5/HTML/000323.html for a current {no pun..} thread.

Lyle,
I think you may have just cracked that nut there, mate. [Linked Image]
Paul was asking a question in the "Photos Submitted For Discussion" Forum about this panel and it's wiring method.
I do know that you are allowed to feed singles through a metal panel, but you have to use a Non-ferrous(brass)gland to do this.

(Oops, must have posted at the same time as Bjarney!)

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 06-01-2003).]

P
pauluk Offline OP
Sorry for any confusion guys. I posted a short version of this in the general photos section for better coverage, but I guess that wasn't such a good idea.

No worries Paul,
But what was the actual violation pertaining to this install?. [Linked Image]

P
yep you cannot take single phase conductors through holes on their own,, this would cause eddie currents..

you must either install them with a neutral or earth cable,, or cut a slot between all three holes.

P
pauluk Offline OP
Trumpy,
Yes, the phase conductors entering through three individual holes in a steel enclosure was what I had in mind.

S
you must either install them with a neutral or earth cable,, or cut a slot between all three holes.

So what do you do for strain relief and cable protection at such an entrypoint?

Is there some sort of grommet materialthat's sold for when you cut out the steel between the holes and turn it into a large slot?

I assume that three-phase setups in the USA have all three phases and neutral running in the same pipe, through a single entry in the panel and then branched inside the panel out to their respective legs on the switch, right?

I'm sorry I ask this silly question, but 3-phase is a bit over my head... [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by SvenNYC (edited 06-10-2003).]

Sven,
If you are installing single cores through a panel, you have to bring them in through a non-ferrous plate or gland.
This prevents Eddy currents from the wires inducing currents in the panel metal.
Over here we generally cut a large slot out of the metal panel and fit an Aluminium plate over this and then fit plastic cable glands into the Al plate.
You're right about the conduit entries.
We seldom use single cores over here, apart from on really BIG jobs (200-400A+ per Phase), it's a lot easier to run Neutral-Screened into a switchboard(it's round) and this is used 9 times out of 10!. [Linked Image]
Not a silly question in the slightest.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard