ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#137009 05/19/03 11:09 AM
T
Yesterday I had the pleasure of wiring a real cheap ($7) wall mount 500W metal halide fixture. My dad bought 2 or 3 of them years ago (oh, you never know, maybe you can use them some time in the future) and packed them away. Well, yesterday my brother wanted one of them as a video spot light so I dug out a cord and tried to wire up the spot. Even though they were stored perfectly dry the case had started to rust. No manual anywhere. 3 wires. 2 neon yellow ones and a blue one. No markings in sight. So I took out the reflector and traced the wires. Guess what. Yellow = phase and neutral, blue = ground. The screws of the strip connector refused to work, they were stuck fully open. At this point I dumped the bloody cr*p. I remember the one we wired years ago had some sort of instructions, written in a German that sent me ROFLMAO, so I guess they got lost (the box wasn't anywhere near solid).
Cheap bullsh*t!!!!!!!!!

S
Since it was a temporary thing....why not just remove the terminal block and replace it with another piece of terminal strip?

After he was done, take the thing out back and smash it with a brick so nobody can use it ever again if they find it in the trash.

Whenever I throw away something cheap-n-nasty (and unsafe) like that I always make sure to destroy it first. Don't want to be indirectly responsible for someone else's misery.

T
More or less what I'm going to do. I was just that fed up yesterday I just threw it aside.

Link Copied to Clipboard