ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#136786 05/05/03 09:24 AM
C
C-H Offline OP
I'll seize the opportunity to ask what the Swiss wiring looks like today: If I've understood things correctly homes in Switzerland usually have 3-phase. Correct?

How about the sockets outlets: The Swiss sockets are only used in Switzerland: Used to be 10A. Has this changed? What are types 12, 13 and 23?

Denmark and Italy which also have their own socket outlets have been flooded with German plugs. Is this the case in Switzerland too?

#136787 07/18/03 05:37 AM
P
Just looking back and reviving one or two threads. Do we have no takers on Swiss wiring?

It would be interesting to find out how similar/different the Swiss approach is compared to the rest of Europe.

#136788 07/18/03 06:18 AM
T
As far as I know Swiss wiring has many similarities to Austrian wiring, like fused neutrals etc. Old color codes were really weird, I put them into the color codes thread, new color code is blue for neutral, yellow/green for ground and any color but blue and yellow/green for phases, usually red. Flexes follow international color coding. 10A receptacles are still standard. One weird thing: Cords longer than 5m are illegal, unless there's a means of rolling them up when not in use. Also applies to extension cords (have to be on a reel).
The Swiss do have a very nice institution, the "Starkstrominspektorat". If doubt some old wiring is still safe you can call these guys, they'll inspect the wiring and can force the owner to bring it up to code. Maybe they even perform regular inspections.
I think the Swiss are pretty strict on their codes, so German plugs wouldn't stay long. However, I haven't been to Switzerland for more than 10 years so I can't say much about the current situation first-hand.

#136789 07/19/03 03:45 AM
P
I checked back in the international color codes thread in the technical reference area and it looks as though we missed adding the details on Switzerland that you obtained. I'll have to get Scott to add them.

Current Swiss color coding:
Phases: all colors but blue and yellow-green
Neutral: Blue
Ground: Yellow-green.

Old colors:
Phases: all colors but yellow and yellow-red
Neutral: Yellow
Ground: Yellow-red

I got another, more detailed information on swiss color coding. Until about 1970 Phases red (R), green (S) and dark blue (T). N yellow. PE yellow-red until the 1950ies, later yellow-green.

Phase after fuse often red. Switched phase often blue or green. Got you the following colors to a light fixture: Green, yellow-green and yellow. 3way travelers often white.
In the ca. 90ies introduction of blue neutral, ban of blue phase. Yellow seems to have died out. Phases red, black and white, after fuse often black. Switched neutral whatever, for example green, travelers green as well.

All of your refernces seem to suggest the old neutral color was yellow, but we had the following entry for Swiss appliance cords (line, neutral, ground):
Switzerland: Red, Grey, Yellow or yellow/red.
It seems as though this entry might be rather suspect.

#136790 07/19/03 08:41 AM
T
I was told so by 2 Swiss electricians who seem to be very competent, and we already found some serious flaws in the old entries, so I think this could be another.
I remember the old table reversed phase and neutral for Germany and had some other errors.

#136791 07/19/03 11:27 AM
D
djk Offline
I think the lesson is : Don't take web compiled information too seriously and always use a phase tester! [Linked Image]

#136792 07/20/03 07:49 AM
P
These compiled lists of international standards always seem to be rather suspect. Just look at the many sites listing nominal voltages and how many mistakes can be found in those.

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 07-20-2003).]

#136793 07/20/03 11:19 AM
B
djk — You refer to use of a phase tester. Is that the same thing as a phase-sequence indicator? In your country, is phase sequence required to be maintained the same on all equipment?

Here is a classic indicator in the US — I understand is was first fabricated by an old lineman in California in the 1920s. {Appropriateness of its “odd” ABC-Red/White/Blue-123 color code is another matter.}

[Linked Image from knoppinc.com]

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 07-20-2003).]

#136794 07/20/03 11:52 AM
T
Germany requires clockwise phase sequence everywhere, even the plugs and sockets have to have a circular pin layout with rightwise phase rotation. Don't know about Austria, but I guess we have that too.

#136795 07/20/03 01:04 PM
D
djk Offline
When I say a phase tester I mean a simple screwdriver type device for checking if a cable is hot or not [Linked Image] (Irish/British term I think!)

As for phase sequence they're quite strict about it here.

Where 3-phase is used each phase is clearly and correctly identified by the cable colour scheme.
The power company would insure that the phase sequence is correct at their meter and the continuity of the colour scheme is simply maintained from there on. There is no question of randomly mixing up the "hots". There is also, like in Germany, a standard way to wire 3-phase plugs/sockets to ensure that the phase sequence is always maintained.

Also where single phase (230V) power is taken from a 3-phase panel it must be wired so that the 230V equipment (sockets/lighting etc) in a particular room is always on the same phase to prevent anyone from being "connected" across 2 phases.

In domestic situations 3-phase is very rare.
Generally a 63-80 amp single phase supply is used.

Electric heating's quite rare here and where it is used it's storage heating so the heating load is on only during the night and would not exceed 63amps.

(90%+ of homes here are heated either by natural gas or pressure jet oil systems) These systems generally heat radiators via a pumped closed pressurised water system. (I've noticed in the UK it's generally open with a head tank)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard