ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 268 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
E
One of my good contractors wants me to go to Florida to wire 3 beach houses for him. I checked and Florida will accept my license. Does anyone know of any special requirements in Florida or why the contractors there charge about twice what they do in Georgia? Has anyone here ever dealt with using your license out of state? (Ron, your on the border, have you?) Any info would be appreciated.

A
Eagle, I have a brother in Orlando, inlaws in Jacksonville and inlaws in Ponte Vedra. Have worked at all loctions but nothing big enough to pull a permit (you know how it is for relatives). Fla has a different classification system than we do but I'm sure a Class II Ga Lic will sufice for a Fla resi license. I would get the # for the AHJ and go from there. See what their inspection policy is and if they require a local license through the municipality.

And as for twice the money, the job will take twice as long and you will waste twice the material because you'll be watching the tanned beauties in the thongs.

G
things vary county to county here in fla. check with the city or county bldg. dept. where you plan to work. as far as prices, anywhere along the coast you're paying tourist or part-timers rate.

T
Is Georgia on SBCCI like most of Texas is? San Antonio and Houston won't accept it yet even though over 200 other jurisdictions have!Afraid they'll lose a few dollars on testing fees.I don't believe Florida is SBCCI.

Donnie
C
I think I would get that permission in writing, considering that electrical contractors(or the master pulling the electrical permit) have to have $800K liability insurance and workers comp if you have people working for you.If you are a one man show then a workers comp exemption is required by the state.
If that plays out OK be aware that since hurricane Andrew 10 years ago, Florida has adopted a state code that makes all the counties and cities NEC addendums void.
Be aware this may be a sensitive issue with the AHJ.
Chris

E
Thanks for the replies and advice.

It appears that Georgia and Florida have a license reciprocation policy. If I pay $150 to the state of Florida thay will issue me a Florida Electrical Contractor license based on the fact that I passed Georgia's test. This is a fairly recent change, I think, because when I got my license Florida did not accept GA's linces except on a case by case basis.

Insurance is not a problem, I've got a million dollar liabilty policy and workman's comp in GA. I asked my agent and he said as long as I only use workers from GA I don't need anything else, but if I employ any FLA labor, then I will have to get a FLA policy.

I do plan to talk to the AHJ to see what other obstacles there may be, such as FLA business license.

Link Copied to Clipboard