ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#136677 04/27/03 03:30 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
When a new installation goes on-line, what is the sequence of connections, where you live?.
Over here in NZ, the Electrical Inspector gets the CoC from the Electrician who has done the work, he then calls a Line Mechanic, who then gets a Line Crew to hook up the new installation.
How is it, in your country?.

#136678 07/18/03 05:44 AM
P
Sorry Mike, looks like I missed this question. Better late than never.... [Linked Image]

As you know, we have no official electrical inspectors here, so the home-owner or developer will liase directly with the PoCo.

Most new properties have the service and meter box outside now, so the builder has to acquire the cabinet and build it into the structure. The contractor will then arrange a date for the PoCo to come and install the meter and their service lateral and connect the tails from the main panel into their meter. In my area, the local PoCo is now called TXU-Energi, but the line work and meter installations are carried ouy by 24-Seven and Siemens respectively.

#136679 07/18/03 06:41 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Thanks Paul for bringing this one up,
But I would like to ask this question.
Being a Power Company employee, off and on, what do you Electricians, hate about the current systems, and how do you reckon you could make them better?.
I hate the system that I work under, so let's hear it from you fellas!. [Linked Image]

#136680 07/18/03 11:22 AM
S
Personally, I hate that in recent years the Electricity suppliers have split into far too many different companies.

I finished a job just last month - 2 flats above a shop, on the outskirts of London. I had to have the existing supply cut off by LEB (London Elec Board), get a quote from SeeBoard (South Eastern.....) for the new supply, pay for that, they had to get 24seven (london power network) to arrange for Morrisons (groundworkers) to dig the road, 24Seven then installed the cable, LEB made the joint, and SeeBoard got meterpoint to install the meter.

What is more worrying is that you have to give the meter man a certificate, but he literally threw it away "Oh that'll do". No tests are carried out. Nothing.

I'm getting quite tired of the lack of offical-dom in the UK. We really do need a proper governing body, and set out practices and guidelines.

Regards to all

Steve

(UK)

#136681 07/18/03 09:17 PM
Trumpy Offline OP
Steve,
I would definitely agree with you there.
I think that the splitting up of power companies, is a world-wide thing, anyone dis-agree?.
Over here, just getting a Nightstore heater, tacked on to the correct Tariff, is an absolute nightmare, half the time the people on the other end of the phone, didn't even know that your town existed, even though they supply Electricity to it!.
The thing that really gets me going, is the customer that can't remember which power company they are with, because the have switched so often(BTW, there are lots of people over here like that!).
It's just one big mess, and power prices are still climbing, so much for the Competition, that this was supposed to bring! [Linked Image]

#136682 07/19/03 04:13 AM
P
I think most people here are totally confused by the multitude of companies trying to get them to switch suppliers. "Switching" of course, just means that they have a contract with and pay a different company -- There's still only one distribution network in any given area, which to my mind makes the whole thing rather ridiculous. Just about everybody is getting in on the act now, even British Gas (yes, a gas company!).

It's the same sorty of mess as with long-distance phone service. Just look at how many outfits are out to convince you that their deal is the best. As with electricity, it's just too complex for most people.

#136683 07/19/03 04:53 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Paul,
What has not helped things, is the fact that a few of the Supply Companies(as opposed to Lines companies) offer all of these "sweeteners", such as "Get free Sky TV" and win a car and so forth, but as soon as the good will is gone, most customers switch over to the next best offer.
It's a nightmare for us Electrical workers!.
Is this situation the same in the UK, with respect to power companies trying to entice new customers, by these sorts of offers?. [Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard