ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
#136554 09/18/06 04:13 AM
D
djk Offline
There was a major project undertaken for Dublin's millenium celebrations in 1988 when the city celebrated its official 1000th birthday. (However, the area has probabally been settled for much more than 1000 years, that's just a random date that was taken by the City Council at the time)

Some are original, some are repros. They've been electric since the late 1800s so I'm not 100% sure how many of them would have been gas to start with.

[This message has been edited by djk (edited 09-18-2006).]

#136555 09/18/06 08:06 AM
The Vikings were established in Dublin around 830-840AD.
Contrary to 'Hollywood-style' epics, the Vikings engaged in trade, crafts and the arts as well as seafaring, pillaging, looting and the ravishing of fair damsels, principally in the british isles out of York [ Jorvik ] and Dublin [ Duiblinn ], the latter famed for its silver. They also [reportedly] made landfall on the North American continent some 500 years before Columbus, [ "Vinland" ].
They were finally expelled by the united Irish kings in about 989AD, so the 1000th anniversary was either 164 or 17 years ago, depending on which way you want to look at it. Some settled in Normandy and 77 years later, under Gwilliaum Conquerant, defeated the Anglo-Saxons at Hastings in 1066. Since the entire population of the british isles then was probably less than 2 million, Viking bloodlines are extensive still in the UK and the Republic. Energetic little buggers, were'nt they?
BTW, the Jorvic [ York, England ] centre is a brilliant reproduction of a Viking town, c/w the sounds & smells of everyday life, and worth a visit.

Alan

Wood work but can't!
#136556 09/19/06 06:40 PM
D
djk Offline
Sure the viking names ending in sen, son etc all still exist here.

Likewise the town names etc.. Wexford, Waterford, Leixslip etc..

[This message has been edited by djk (edited 09-19-2006).]

#136557 09/20/06 11:48 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Dave, Alan,
Could we please start an off-topic thread about this subject?.
Reason I ask this, is because I just got Pay TV hooked up here and there is a serial doco on this very subject on the Discovery Channel.
It really intrigues me about what went on in the UK, Ireland and various other parts of Europe.
I thought I must have heard the TV wrong when they mentioned Vikings in Ireland.
It's up to one of you guys to start a new thread, I might not get back here before Saturday.
Cheers guys. [Linked Image]

#136558 09/21/06 06:48 PM
Dave, does that make me a Viking? Coolsville, I allus fancied a big hat with cow-horns!
Don't think a new thread is necessary, the Vikings' idea of 'street lighting' was probably to set fire to the ruddy street!

Alan the Gray

Wood work but can't!
Trumpy Offline OP
Bjarney mentioned the Series street-lighting system way back in this thread.
I've been reading an old "Line-mans Bible" printed in 1961, it goes into quite a bit of detail on these systems, I'll see if I can scan some pages and throw them in the Electrical Nostalgia area.
That book has really made for some interesting reading.
BTW, we did use vertical reticulation here at one time for LV distribution, I never knew that.

Trumpy #170110 10/26/07 06:55 PM
R
Mike, We still have vertical recticulation in Auckland in some areas, i can make some pics if you are interested.

The council put up 37 new sets of these 250 Watt Metal halide lamps, about 2 months ago to light pedestrian crossings in the West Auckland area.
And they are bright allright !

As we had intermittand tripping on one of our streetlight pilots, we found a crossed polarity near a school which had the pole live at ± 200 Volts to earth.
The contractor, who installed those lamps, made a non fused joint to our OH pilot system, then breach joint to get power to both sides of the road.
We got the network safety auditors out, discussed the issue and isolated all circuits concerned as a matter of safety.

Now all 37 Ped. xings are out and the contractor is kicked of the Network who wasn't even warranted to do the work.
Also coc's and paperwork were signed off without checking polarity and loop impedance.

Interesting what is gonna happen in the future with these lights. I keep you posted.

The product of rotation, excitation and flux produces electricty.
W
Mostly hi pressure sodium around here for municipal lights, private lights could be anything and everything. I personally like to install only metal halide, if you need a light you might as well be able to see when it is on.

Jimmy

Life is tough, Life is tougher when you are stupid
T
Update... the municipial lighting web site has been completely redesigned. Some info is gone, some new appeared. There seem to be new HPMH now which confirms my suspicion.

The control system is explained now too. The street lighting wires originate in switching stations, which are controlled by superimposing a signal on the regular distribution lines.

Trumpy Offline OP
Originally Posted by RODALCO
We still have vertical recticulation in Auckland in some areas, i can make some pics if you are interested.

You mean vertical reticulation on 230/400V?, yeah I'd be interested in seeing that, I had no idea it was still around these days.

Crikey that street-lighting sounds like a bit of a nightmare, especially considering a pole managed to get livened in the process.
I'm not sure about some contractors.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard