ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 546 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
BUMP !

I recall the solid 6mm² in The Netherlands.
They were an absolute pain to bend around the termination screws in the hazelmeijer fuse switch boards, even the 4mm² could be a struggle too sometimes when space was at a premium and filled up with other wires.

The product of rotation, excitation and flux produces electricty.
T
Recently I was told there is even 10mm2 solid!

Bending that must be a real pain!
Thanks heaven the main fuse panel I was working on back then was pretty much empty (it had space for I think up to 4 3ph connections but only had two single phase circuits). Still... the old Diazed fuse blocks have terminals like US sockets where you gave to wrap the wires around the screws. That was something to do with 6mm2 solid...

I never saw the need of twisting stranded and solid using Austrian materials unless you're trying to do a "russian" connection wrapped with tape and buried in plaster. Light fixtures were also often connected that way back when other countries used porcelaine choc blocks.

T
???RCD??
is this comparable to what in the US is called a GFI or Ground fault Interupt?

T
Basically yes, but it's an electromechanical device with a trip level of 30 or 100mA (older work). Very old ones had trip levels of 300, 500 or even 1000 mA!
In Austria all receptacles up to 32A rating have to be RCD protected, usually a whole house RCD is used and simultaneously acts as a main switch.

D
djk Offline
In Ireland the rules require 30mA protection on all sockets outlets <32A too. Also water heaters, fixed appliances (other than the oven/hob)

The default earthing arrangement here is TN-C, but where TT is used, the whole house has to go on a higher rated RCD with the same 30mA RCD requirements for the final circuits specified in the normal rules.

Bathroom wiring rules have changed somewhat, in so far as the lighting circuits are now required to be RCD protected.
So far, no change on the lack of sockets and lightswitches in bathrooms though.

P
???RCD??

RCD = Residual Current Device.

Formerly known as:

RCCB = Residual Current Circuit Breaker.

Formerly known as:

Current-operated ELCB = Earth Leakage Circuit Breaker.

Not entirely related,
but there is a company here at the moment looking for Tenders to fit remote metering units on some household meters.
My understanding of the local (if not national)laws here, require a person with at least Electrical Inspector qualifications, to do this work.
I know that locally, you need permission from the local Lines Company to break meter seals.
Doing so without permission will land you in really hot water (and I'm not talking about the Night Rate either). [Linked Image]
Maybe things are a little more lax overseas with regards to metering equipment, here, unless you have permission, meters are out of bounds to most Electricians.

T
Here everybody can open a meter seal, but only a licensed electrician can send a completion note to get it resealed.

C
Wouldn't a contract to replace the meters be considered permission?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard