ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#136331 03/27/03 08:59 AM
T
Here are some pics of the most common means of public transportation in Vienna, the tram. There are about 30 lines all over Vienna.

[Linked Image from unet.univie.ac.at]

This is a type E1 car used on many lines, the oldest type still in service. The picture is taken in suburban Vienna.

[Linked Image from stud3.tuwien.ac.at]

This is a more recent E2 car in a very Viennese street.

And now the newest Ultra Low Floor (ULF) car.

Most lines are numbered, some have letters (as far as I remember D, J, N, O). Buses have a number followed by the letter A or B, A stands for municipial lines, B for private. Then we have 5 subway lines U1 to U6, U5 having been left out somewhere during the planning stage.
As far as I know all these vehicles operate on 750VDC, the buses are both Diesel and propane (I think).

#136332 03/27/03 11:59 AM
P
Interesting pictures Ranger -- Thanks for posting them.

I notice that the system uses pantograph power pickups. Most, if not all, of the old tram (streetcar) systems in England (all but a couple of which were torn out many years ago) used trailing arm pick-ups running at 500V DC.

We also had what were called "trolley buses," running on normal rubber tires and using two trailing-arm pick-ups from overhead lines.

The lack of tracks and steerable wheels meant that they were a little more maneuverable in the heavy traffic, but of course they couldn't go too far off course otherwise they'd be left stranded without power!

#136333 03/27/03 12:15 PM
T
Trolley buses wre used in Vienna in the early 20th century on the lines that were too steep for trams. Salzburg still uses them, but they're not too reliable, I was told that they frequently jump off the wires and are indeed stranded without power.
The colors of the first picture are not too great, originally the red was the same as on the other 2 pics.
In the background of the first pic on the far left you can see a phone box.

#136334 03/27/03 02:01 PM
C
C-H Offline
Trams seem to become increasingly popular. Paris once boasted that it was the first large city without trams(!) Now it just like many other european cities boast modern and comfortable trams.

Closer to home: My town, Stockholm, has a patchwork or rail-based means of transport. Ranging from scary old junk are neither tram nor train to new comfortable trams and underground trains.

The agency running them is cash struck, so it has been round Europe trying to find more junk. On the line where I live, we know have three different Swedish local trains, old Danish wagons pulled by locomotives from a freight company, some German trains from the Olympics in Munich 1972 and even a set of railcars out of the museum!

I'm no train buff but I just have to add some pictures:

The rail layout look like this. Each colour is a different line and vehicle type, except the three undground lines (red, green, blue)

The map is too big to post directly: Click here

{I have server problems at the moment, the link might not work. I hope the problems will go away}

The musem piece

[Linked Image from jarnvag.net]

The German trains (still owned by Deutsche Bahn) (It's not my photo, but I live 200m into the picture.)

[Linked Image from jarnvag.net]

The Swedish trains look just the same, only with flat fronts.

The trams range from:
[Linked Image from w1.870.telia.com]

to

[Linked Image from sl.se]

And finally this modern lousy excuse for a train, which I grew up next to:

[Linked Image from sl.se]

The old trains (some of which were of wood) looked a lot nicer. The gauge of this line is three Swedish feet, 891mm. 1500V DC overhead and it went electric in 1896!

I'll better stop here before you all fall asleep.

[This message has been edited by C-H (edited 03-27-2003).]

#136335 03/27/03 02:34 PM
T
Ok, adding a few more pics.

Type T subway as used on U6 line. Older U6 cars basically look like E2.

Type C1, taken out of service in 1996.

"Silberpfeil" (Silver Arrow) subway, used on all other subway lines. Apart from buses most hated vehicle all over Vienna. Interior kept in an ugly orange.

F, my favourite vintage tram. Taken out of service about the same time as C1.

#136336 03/27/03 02:52 PM
C
C-H Offline
Ragnar,
if they left out a whole line, do you also have stations that have notably been left out? In Stockholm, one station in the middle of a line was built but never opened. (The planners cancelled the residential area it was intended to serve.) On the "map" of the lines the otherwise equally spaced stations leave a gap where it should have been.

#136337 03/27/03 03:52 PM
T
Nothing that I know of. Only thing that comes to my mind is the Imperial Station, a station built for the emperor that was never used. Yes, and one big tram station was never finished. It was built for several tram lines passing the old downtown area underground, but this underground passage was never built. The station is now terminus of no less than 7 tram lines (37, 38, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44).
U1 is one of the more recent lines, being mostly underground. Highest suicide rate. U2 is an extended underground tram line and pretty useless. U3 is again a newly planned line. U4 and U6 used to be urban train lines until 1976 (U4) and 1989 (U6), U4 underground and in galleries along the Vienna river and the U6, probably the most beautiful line, mostly on bridges up above the streets, all the bridges and stations have been designed by Otto Wagner, a very famous architect in the 1890ies and the early 20th century.

[Linked Image from dominikanerinnen.at]

And then we still have a few real urban train lines, the elevated train or "Schnellbahn". They belong to the Austrian Railways and use real train cars instead of tram cars. Very very comfortable, but you have to deal with 15 min intervals instead of 2.5-10 minutes on other lines.
In spite of the efforts of many politicians Vienna still has a very effective public transportation system.

#136338 03/28/03 12:51 AM
F
ok can i add few more cent worth of chatting about trams ...

also been found in www.railroadforums.com

they have very good photo about trams and trains and electric locomotives there from time to time i will be chatting in RR forums there too i am former rr engineer /mechanic /electrican

merci marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

#136339 03/28/03 03:38 PM
T
I found a site with an incredible amount of international railway/subway/tram pics, mainly in English.

The European Railway Picture Gallery

#136340 12/23/03 07:57 AM
T
Picking up this old thread again...

Ragnar, if they left out a whole line, do you also have stations that have notably been left out? In Stockholm, one station in the middle of a line was built but never opened. (The planners cancelled the residential area it was intended to serve.) On the "map" of the lines the otherwise equally spaced stations leave a gap where it should have been.

Yes, there is a station that has been left out. When the former steam Stadtbahn line "Vorortelinie" (suburb line) was reopened as an electric Schnellbahn line in 1987 the station Unterdöbling that existed from 1898 to 1961 (though more or less out of service since 1932 when the regular service was cancelled) wasn't rebuilt. You can see where the trench walls go back leaving space for the platforms but there aren't any. (The S45 is mostly routed in an open trench).

Btw, the Vienna tram network is standard gauge (1435mm) and operates on nominal 600V DC, said to be changed to 750V where new construction takes place. The tram cars don't mind the higher voltage, according to the specifications the subway car type T is designed to work on 550 to 900V. The Badnerbahn (mix of tram and railway line to Baden near Vienna) uses the 600V tram catenary inside Vienna, then switches to the 750V U6 network at Schedifkaplatz and after one stop goes up to 900V for the long-distance route to Baden.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard