ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 792 guests, and 22 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#136307 03/27/03 01:30 PM
P
Some of the travel adapters sold really are of very poor design and build quality.

It's certainly a good point about using plug-transformers which these adapters. A European-to-British adapter already has quite enough weight hanging on the end of with just a standard BS1363n plug, nevermind anything extra.

I'm not a fan of these all-in-one plug and xfmr combinations that have become so popular. I'd much prefer to have the power pack connected via a regular cord and plug.

Certainly for travel needs, I much prefer a plug-cord-socket home-made adpater to the various combo units on sale.

#136308 03/27/03 01:58 PM
D
djk Offline
Some of the newer mobile phone plugs are very neat & light weight whatever they're using to step down the voltage.

I just noticed a weird British connector product.. found an iron with a very old MK BS1363 plug complete with a switch on top of the plug!

#136309 03/27/03 02:13 PM
T
Switched Schuko plugs are rare, but they do exist. I use them to cut power to wall warts without unplugging them. They're rather bulky angle plugs with a simple double pole key switch. Nice arcs.

#136310 03/27/03 02:27 PM
C
C-H Offline OP
Luckily, the heavy transformers will be gone in a few years. The switching mode power supplies are becoming cheaper and better.
They are lighter as there is no iron core in them. With sufficiently high frequency any material for the core will do. Many aftermarket power supplies sold in Sweden today are of this type. As they are made in China, I suspect it is not a local phenomenon.

#136311 03/27/03 02:42 PM
S
But SMPS devices will not work well with certain portable radios or TV sets.

SMPSs toss out a lot of RFI....so I guess for these devices the transformer-based adapters will still be needed (unless they go back to incorporating the power supply inside the radio).

#136312 03/27/03 03:22 PM
C
C-H Offline OP
Sven,
this used to be a hurdle, but it has been overcome. The EU has strict limitations on the electromagnetic compatibility. Just about every after-market cell phone charger had to be taken off the market after a "raid" testing the compliance two years ago.

#136313 06/27/04 09:01 AM
C
C-H Offline OP
Time to bring this up again!

David had an idea about IEC connectors as an intermediate step in an adaptor. I gave it a little thought:

Here is the idea:

1.) A proper listed/approved local plug (NEMA, Schuko etc.) with grounded 10A 250V / 15A 125V IEC 320 connector on the other back.

You can buy this type of adaptor already:

[Linked Image from stayonline.com]

These are compact compared to conventional adaptors.

2.) The second part is simply a conventional trailing socket with two or three sockets. Listed/approved of course. Instead of the ordinary plug, it has an IEC connector on the cord which mates with the adaptor.

3.) If you have a transformer this is simply connected between the adaptor and the trailing socket. It has a cord with a male IEC connector as input and a female IEC connector on the transformer itself where you plug in the trailing socket.

4.) There is an ungrounded IEC connector too, although rarely used. This should be used on ungrounded plugs. Either you use a trailing socket that only accepts ungrounded plugs or you add an ungrounded IEC to grounded IEC adaptor. It would simply consist of an RCD/GFCI and the connectors. Even with the RCD it can be made very small and robust.

The result? A system where the grounding can't be bypassed unless you have ground fault protection. In addition, you have two or three proper sockets to plug into. Lastly, the plug you insert into the foreign socket fits correctly and is lightweight.

As a bonus, you have a modular system that can be sold in any country of the world. Only one type of transformer is necessary for the whole world: 115/230V Step up/step down. (Still in different sizes, of course)

#136314 06/27/04 09:29 AM
D
djk Offline
Ever see a modern Apple power supply for a laptop or an iPod or even their new plug-in wifi stuff.

A small figure-of-eight connector moulded onto a plug slots neatly into the top of the plug-in switch mode transformer. All looks very slick and neat and as you travel around you simply swap the plugs.

The nema setup: the BS1363 setup is bulkier looking! [Linked Image from dabs.com]

[Linked Image from a248.e.akamai.net]

Similar idea to the IEC adaptors though.

[This message has been edited by djk (edited 06-27-2004).]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard