ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 556 guests, and 38 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
pauluk Offline OP
Just found this on the ELECSA site regarding registration for approved persons. I hadn't realized either that even with such a certified person carrying out works the requirement to report to the council is still there, just handled by ELECSA.

The cost structure for ELECSA is as follows:

Initial payment – Upon application, we will need you to supply us with payment for both 1 year’s registration and the one-day assessment. The registration fee is £100.00 plus VAT (£117.50) and the assessment charge is £400.00 plus VAT (£470.00). Therefore, the initial fee is £587.50.

Ongoing payments – Once you are fully registered with ELECSA, you will be charged for each installation that you register with us for the purposes of certification. Each of these will be charged at £1.50 plus VAT. In addition, after 12 months of registration, you will have to actively renew your registration. This will involve full reassessment and will a registration payment equal to the initial payment of £587.50.
£500 per year???!!! [Linked Image] (After reclaiming VAT). They gotta be kidding!

A
Quote,
All good charitable organisations with sound pension funds.

Paul common be a reasonable man, if you dont contribute mate who's going to pay these geezers pension's. You cant expect them to come out of the ivory towers and start getting floorboards up and scrawling arround attics in their Goochy shoes and suits can you. Mind you wouldn't it be nice to see. And how long do you think it will remain at £1.50 per installation for. We seem to have to support an untold number of leaches one way and another in this trade dont we. Must be close to as many assessors as do'ers at the moment all having to be paid the $ out of our effort. The bottom line is as you rightly say they aint a gona be able to police it properly, and as usual the folks who play by the rules will get canned again. Oh Im a bloody old moaner aint I.

Paul,
I must say I agree with your comments about DIY work above.
I work in with a lot of PoCo Inspectors as part of my work and some of the stories that they've told me about DIY work that they have seen over the years, here would curl your hair!. [Linked Image]
But at the end of the day, how do you prove who actually did the work and when exactly it was done?.
This is one huge stumbling block here and it also means that a lot of people that install dangerously Non-compliant work get away with it Scot-free!.
Other side of the coin, those of us here, like me, that choose to work inside the law and have things like Registration and a Practising Licence, are usually the first people that are "in the gun", when the simplest of things go wrong, it's just not a level playing field in my eyes!.
That ELECSA Certified Person Scheme (read:gravy-train)sounds really expensive and IMHO it should be a lot cheaper than that if they want people to join it.
BTW, what does their assessment entail?.

P
pauluk Offline OP
Here you go Mike:
http://www.elecsa.org.uk/Reqs_Costs.asp

Proper test equipment and inspection forms etc. are reasonable requirements. But then they go overboard, in my opinion.

Alan,
Maybe you're being cynical, but I'm right behind you and equally suspiscious of the true motives.

This is the government that was going to cut red-tape and reduce the expense of running a business? Yeah, go tell it to the Marines....

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard