ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 221 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#136179 03/23/03 11:39 AM
D
djk Offline
Paul:

In Dublin and Cork pretty much every home is passed by those old co-ax systems. They're quite neatly done, generally neatly tacked tightly under the facia (just below the roof) and crossing overhead for short distances or else down and underground.. It's quite common in Cork that they run along the back walls of properties just below the cap stone at the end of the garden. They're extremely extensive networks (as extensive as the phone network), as far as I know we've some of the highest cable penetration rates in Europe, you don't see very many antennas on roofs in the cities here. The old coax systems are ok for plain old TV service either analogue or digital but often can't provide 2-way access for internet, voice and interactive services. Which is why, like sky, some of the digital cable systems require the set top box to have a phone line connection for interactive stuff.

Newer housing developments would have underground coax or coax-fiber hybrid and gradually those networks are being expanded to eventually phase out the old systems. NTL are in BIG trouble here though, they bought Cablelink and its 1.9 million customers from eircom (who were forced to sell it in an attempt to break its monopolistic practicies) and part of the licence they agreed to set out requirments for upgrading the network, however NTL worldwide is doing very badly so they stopped investing here. They may loose their Irish cable licences s they've failed to update 90% of the network.

The 2 cable companies also operate a digital terrestrial microwave broadcasting system with a mirror digital television service in the 2Ghz range.. it was originally fully analogue!

Antennas look like this:
[Linked Image from mojweb.sk]

or flat ones that look a little like this:
[Linked Image from radiowavesinc.com]

The horrible old analogue decoders used for both cable and microwave:
[Linked Image from cable-converter-box.com]

#136180 03/23/03 12:39 PM
C
Visit the site below for the whatabouts of a 1960s era cable TV system in The UK.
http://web.ukonline.co.uk/uax13/cabletv.htm

A pretty in depth history, giving certain technical detail of the system.

{ Edited only to correct link syntax - Paul }

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 03-23-2003).]

#136181 03/23/03 07:57 PM
P
pauluk Offline OP
Thanks for posting that link. The article makes for interesting reading. [Linked Image]

#136182 06/09/03 06:41 PM
P
pauluk Offline OP
Update:

It does indeed appear that these circular encased transformers are becoming more commonly used in Britain.

I had caused to travel down to Kent today (that's down in the southeast corner of England, three counties away from here), and I saw three or four very new-looking xfmrs of this type serving one or two houses in rural areas. That's a different utility company in Kent, so it looks as though they've started using them quite regularly.

#136183 06/10/03 06:12 PM
D
Paul,
For your information, the can type single phase transformers are quite common up here.
They only seem to be used for 1 or 2 consumers in country areas. Possibly only 10 or 16KVA.

#136184 06/11/03 05:19 AM
P
pauluk Offline OP
Thanks David. It just came as such a surprise to find this type of xfmr being used here. I'm keeping my eyes peeled down every Norfolk back-lane now looking for more.

The ones I saw in Kent were also feeding just one or two houses. I guess the utilities here have finally decided that it isn't "beneath" them to adopt some American-style techniques where it's beneficial.

Any idea how long these xfmrs have been installed in Scotland?

#136185 07/20/04 06:32 PM
P
pauluk Offline OP
Update: It's now over year since I posted these pictures, and I've seen quite a few more of these transformers appearing on poles out in the boondocks.

It seems as though the local PoCo has indeed decided to use them for new single-phase xfmrs feeding an odd one or two houses out on their own.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard