ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 205 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#136106 03/13/03 12:38 PM
C
C-H Offline OP
Found this on the net. Driving in the UK can't be easy...

-------
[Linked Image from swindonweb.com]

Until September 1972, there was only one Magic Roundabout and it was a children's television programme featuring Dougal the dog, a hippy rabbit called Dylan and the spring-loaded Zebedee.

Then a revolutionary idea (in more ways than one) which had been tested in Colchester, Essex, was also tested on Swindon's County Ground Roundabout. Until then the area had been a motorist's nightmare which routinely failed to handle the volume of traffic which converged on it from five directions.

The new roundabout (see picture) was the work of the Road Research Laboratory (RRL) and their solution was brilliantly simple. All they did was combine two roundabouts in one - the first the conventional, clockwise variety and the second, which revolved inside the first, sending traffic anti-clockwise.
[Linked Image from digitalnorseman.com]
They called it a multi-mini roundabout, but as far as Swindon folk was concerned, they now had their very own Magic Roundabout.

[Linked Image from swindonweb.com]

#136107 03/13/03 02:27 PM
J
C H,

As an electrician on the south coast of england,

I have had the pleasure??? of having to drive thru that.......engineers nightmare a few times to get to a couple of our sites in swindon,
it is not pleasant and not easy!!!

John H

By the way, on a personal note, i think the person who decided it had to be built this way should be made to drive around it on a daily basis during rush hour, and then tell us it works.

John H

#136108 03/13/03 03:26 PM
T
Makes me think of the story (probably an UL) of the drivers license novice who drove around a roundabout for ten full minutes. Then he decided it would be fun if they went backwards instead. A drunk driver didn't notice them and crashed into the car. Police investigated both parties and found the drunk guilty. One of the policemen came to the novice, laughing his a** off about the "great excuse" the drunk had just told them - he found the thought of somebody driving backwards incredible. For the sober guy this thing never had any consequences.

#136109 03/13/03 03:41 PM
S
Did the drunk rear-end the novice's car? If so then he automatically was the guilty party....at least that's how they always treat it it seems.

I've gone round-and-round on round-abouts....it's kind of cool....when it's in the middle of the night and there's nobody else around.

Did the same thing once in this suburban parking lot of a super-market - weaving between the rows of parked cars at around 25 or 30 Km/h.

You won't catch me doing that backwards though!!!! [Linked Image]

#136110 03/13/03 09:02 PM
T
During rush hour they probably have to post a few patrol cars and ambulances there!!

I hope the electrical engineers there do a better job than the roadway engineers. [Linked Image]

Donnie
#136111 03/14/03 01:47 PM
T
Yes, he hit the rear end. I have no idea about the laws (Going to take the drivers license this summer).
Anyway, this was how I heard the story from a classmate.

#136112 03/14/03 04:55 PM
J
T X,
there is an ambulance station about 300meters away,

also a police station, about a mile away,

and also a lcal fire station also about half a mile away!!!

Now you and me are thinking the same thing, they dont trust it do they, well i cant stand going thru it at any time of the day.

and yes are electricians do a better job than the town planners!!! (some of us anyway as we over hear dont have to have a license to ply our trade, which as a qualified and experienced electrican dont agree with)

John H

#136113 03/15/03 02:56 AM
F
wow that is a challange to drive compare what i deal with it in paris oh wow [Linked Image] that will give me new challange to drive there some day i will find out about how i like it but i am familaur with both usa and france driving laws and traffic set up but uk (england) is diffrent but i will be willing to challange it someday

merci marc [Linked Image]

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

#136114 03/15/03 06:30 AM
P
Aaarrggghhhh! Why is it that British planners seem to love their "roundabout" junctions?

I remember running into the Colchester version of this horrible arrangement some years ago. It was the first time I'd been back to the town since I was a kid, and also the first time I'd ever come across such a convoluted, confusing intersection.

Even without this unnecessarily complex layout, roundabouts (traffic circles) are used far too much here. We have big ones, small ones, and now it seems that the "mini-roundabout" is appearing everywhere. There's a small junction near here with two adjacent mini-roundabouts, and there's often confusion over which vehicle is heading where and who has right-of-way. (For those of you who don't know what I mean by "mini-roundabout", I'll try to get a picture over the weekend.)

Marc,
I've never driven in Paris (from what I've heard, that's a good thing! [Linked Image]), but in small town and rural France I've found that the road layouts are much better than here.

The only thing about France that really had me concentrating hard was the "priorité a droite" rule. It's very disorienting for someone used to driving in the U.K. or U.S.A. to be going along a main street and have to stop for a car emerging from some small turning on the right. I'm glad that the priority on French roundabouts has been changed though!

P.S. I wonder if they named that confusing mess "The Magic Roundabout" because by the time you've found your way around it, it's "Time for bed!" [Linked Image]

( Link for non-Brits who have no idea what I'm talking about! )

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 03-15-2003).]

#136115 03/15/03 09:40 AM
I
We have "Roundabouts" here in Massachusetts we call them "Rotary's" but I have never seen one like the one pictured.

I like them as I usually have the biggest vehicle and that means I get the right of way (not the law but how it works in practice). [Linked Image]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard