ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 365 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
SvenNYC Offline OP
Ragnar,

I think it's a smart idea. It does speed up installation. If you're a contractor, you want to get the job done and move to the next instead of wasting time.

You don't want to be sitting on the floor with wire cutters and cutting and trimming tiny bits of wire.

I actually think it would be better if those interconnecting wires were molded inside the device instead of sticking out the back like that.

These are the guts of the device in question:

[Linked Image from niko.be]

C
C-H Offline
Double outdoor sockets are made this way, with 1.5mm2 wires, at least the ones ELSO make. One single plastic casing but on the inside it's like two sockets.

T
Well, I didn't say it's useless, but I've wired single receptacles into double or triple gang boxes like this for ages, and I think the prewired stuff is a little over the top. And I didn't look, but in most cases the severely raised price isn't justified. In simple words, most such stuff I've seen is DIY "make up", and way too expensive for what it actually is.
And remember, these things are backstabbed, so the procedure goes: Cut wire, one cut with strip pliers, and push into the terminal. Finished. Less work than pushing the device into the box, centering it, leveling it and tightening the claw screws.

S
SvenNYC Offline OP
CLAWS???

How do these things manage to not tear out of the box when you pull a plug out?

I always thought they were attached with screws that fit into little projections on the inside of the box - like the British and American metal boxes. That would seem more secure than these claws.

Can someone provide a good picture of a Continental device in its box and how it gets mounted and showing the claws at work? Seems very interesting.

C
C-H Offline

CLAWS??? How do these things manage to not tear out of the box when you pull a plug out?

You tighten the claws hard. They work decently, as long as the box hasn't worn out. If you don't tighten the claws hard enough first time, the socket will come out sooner or later. Repeat this a few times and there is little left of the box. Claws are used on old boxes, not on the modern ones. Modern boxes have a turnable ring holding the screws. This way you can adjust the device when fitting it, so that it levels with the floor/door/wall/whatever.

The claws have been dropped on the latest generation of devices, which means that you will have some extra work to fit them into old screwless boxes. I know some device manufacturers still stick to claws, e.g. Kopp.

Can someone provide a good picture of a Continental device in its box and how it gets mounted and showing the claws at work? Seems very interesting.

Try taking that picture if you can [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by C-H (edited 02-27-2003).]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard