ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 262 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#135901 02/17/03 11:38 AM
C
C-H Offline OP
The disadvantage with surface mounted cables it that people feel that they can just remove devices or hardwired equipment and then wrap some tape around the wires...

[Linked Image from i.kth.se]

#135902 02/17/03 12:47 PM
T
Well, at least it'S electrical tape! Here in Austria most people use band aid on wires and wrap electrical tape around their bleeding fingers. Honestly!
When you move into an appartment or house here this is what any light fixture wires will probably look like. Both wall and ceiling cables. Some bright guys cut the flush wires in the ceiling 2 cm away from the ceiling in our old appartment! Guess you can hear me cursing while trying to connect a new fixture.

#135903 02/18/03 12:01 AM
F
bonsoir

yeah i can see the same thing in both usa and france but yeah txranger i allready see some nasty stuff i have one guy whom did remove air compressor motour and i really have to swear in french ( alot of dirty langunges and rather colourfull!! [Linked Image]
hey ch i wondering what is the rules if they decided to remove devices off and leave the wires taped off or should put the junction box with cover there until new device is installed svp let me know merci marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

#135904 02/18/03 02:08 AM
C-H,
Thanks for the pic, mate.
This sort of thing is pretty much common-place over here in NZ, these days, and depending on who disconnected the fitting, sometimes, you're lucky if they have tape on them, for a start.
Electricians are very hard to get over here at the moment, we have to concentrate more on the Industrial things, rather than the smaller jobs, there are just not enough Sparkies to go around!. [Linked Image]

#135905 02/18/03 03:20 PM
C
C-H Offline OP
Marc: They should have put a box on it. It's not very hard to put a box on it! Any electrican would have. As there will be no load on it, it doesn't need very much fastening.

Ragnar: In this case the wires are taped, but it's not uncommon to see the cable simply cut, without tape.

Mike: Shortage of electricans has been a problem here too. (I don't know if it still is today) The "No sorry, in three weeks at best" reply and the minimum charge of $50 increases the incentive to do like this. (I'm afraid I don't have a solution.)

[This message has been edited by C-H (edited 02-18-2003).]

#135906 02/18/03 03:44 PM
S
What is that glob of red on the right? I'm thinking it's a piece of terminal block wrapped in tape.

At least the European type of terminal block does not allow you to contact the current-carrying elements since they're all recessed and shrouded.

I'm seeing what looks like a brown, green/yellow and blue cluster (going into the blob) to the right. Then there's a white and what looks like a black (or is it burnt) wire to the left).

Are these individual conductors going into a pipe or is this all a single multi-conductor cable stapled to the wall?

It looks like whoever did this stole the box (or the wooden pattress if it was an all-in-one surface mount device) along with the device. That's if there was a wooden block to begin with. [Linked Image]

If this was an all-in-one S.M. device like this receptacle or a similar-styled switch:

[Linked Image from cornerhardware.com]

they are sometimes mounted on wooden blocks...so probably the person took that too. These are usually wired into zip-cord stapled to the walls (dangerous)

#135907 02/18/03 06:02 PM
C
C-H Offline OP

What is that glob of red on the right? I'm thinking it's a piece of terminal block wrapped in tape.

Yes, I think so.

At least the European type of terminal block does not allow you to contact the current-carrying elements since they're all recessed and shrouded.

The type found in older boxes is not shrouded.

I'm seeing what looks like a brown, green/yellow and blue cluster (going into the blob) to the right.

Black, black/white, blue and brown.

Then there's a white and what looks like a black (or is it burnt) wire to the left).

Green/yellow and a taped bare wire. (The two earth wires)

I apologize for the poor quality of the picture. (I used a digital video camera without flash.)

Are these individual conductors going into a pipe or is this all a single multi-conductor cable stapled to the wall?

The latter.

#135908 02/22/03 09:46 AM
T
This thing was anchored to the walls. Close to the left 2 wires you can see at least one anchor, standArd type. Drill round hole into masonry wall, insert anchor. When Screw is tightened, anchor expands and presses against the wall. The cable looks like standard NYM cable and the device was probably an all-in-one surface mount device. You're allowed to staple this cable to the wall surface, so this installation method is very common in renovations (My old room had all receptacles wired like that, I didn't want to rip up the walls).
>These are usually wired into zip-cord stapled to the walls (dangerous)
Well, as long as the 16 AWG zip cord is fused @ 10A... [Linked Image]

#135909 02/23/03 01:34 AM
Where is the bushing on the end of the Conduit Exit?, looks like it's been cut by a Hacksaw.

#135910 02/23/03 02:41 AM
S
It's a multi-conductor cable stapled to the wall.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard