ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 408 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#135836 02/12/03 04:04 PM
P
pauluk Offline OP
According to my information, the 347 overlay to area code 718 was introduced 4/1/2002 and mandatory 10-digit dialing has just commenced on 2/1/03.

You might like to have a look at Linc Madison's useful website. It hasn't been updated to include the latest changes yet, but it has lists of splits and overlays, and even a map showing the original area codes of 1947: www.lincmad.com

Another useful site is the World Telephone Numbering Guide site.

The longest numbers in the U.K. at the moment are 11 digits, including the 0 trunk prefix.

Many people are using alternate long-distance carriers with 4-digit access codes, so 15-digit dialing within the U.K. is becoming quite common. The U.S. went with the system of choosing your main LD carrier and dialing a special code only if you want to route the call another way, but here there is no such system, so if you want to use a certain carrier you have to dial the number every time.

C-H,
Not a single European area code, but the EU proposed an integrated system of area codes with a single European "country" code of 3 a few years ago.

Fortunately, the scheme was consigned to the trash heap (at least for now!) as being too complex to implement at the moment. They could have saved a lot of time and money by actually just asking any decent telephone engineer who would have told them to forget it before they even started!

I think it serves as an excellent example of why meddling bureaucrats shouldn't be let loose on technical matters they know nothing about!

www.wtng.info/wtng-reg.html#Europewide

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 02-12-2003).]

#135837 02/12/03 08:37 PM
D
djk Offline
I don't know what eircom are up to exactly with the ring tone stuff it could just be a programming error on our local exchange.

They've been applying the irish busy tone for years! The only time i've ever heard a non-irish tone on busy was when calling a very obviously electromechanical area in Turkey ... old crackly tone with loud mechanical sounding clicking.

They do apply their own announcements on misdialled calls but also on number changes on very busy routes (e.g. +44/+1/+33) or very predictable changes (e.g france re-numbering to 10/9 digits)

One VERY annoying thing is that British (BT) numbers sometimes don't display. Is that a signalling thing? I've seen German, French, US, Canadian, Spanish, various scandinavian, Australian/NZ numbers all display perfectly as 00-XX-XXXXXXXXX on an eircom phone however our nearest neighbour's numbers don't display or come up as "number unavailable or just International"

#135838 02/12/03 09:08 PM
P
pauluk Offline OP
I would imagine that it's just because BT (or the other British carriers) aren't sending the calling-number data into the Irish trunks (which quite possibly means they're not sending it on any international calls).

I never get international calls shown up with a number on my caller ID. The system just sends the "international" code, not even any indication as to country of origin.

By the way, while we're talking about caller ID, the U.K. also uses 141 as a prefix to block ID on a single outgoing call. If ID is disabled as your default setting, then you can release it for a single call with the prefix 1470.

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 02-12-2003).]

#135839 02/13/03 09:01 AM
D
djk Offline
Similar here:

You choose wheather to display or not by default but can overide the default with the following prefixes:

141 to block
142 to display

i know some UK caller display phones won't work here either. BT reverses the line polarity to indicate that the caller id info is being sent..

eircom sends one long first ring to indicate caller display info is following..(US and French equipment we have works fine on it)

Still unsure how eircom delivers fixed line SMS messages to their ownbranded siemens DECT cordless phones. Any idea?

#135840 02/15/03 09:58 PM
P
pauluk Offline OP
Still unsure how eircom delivers fixed line SMS messages to their ownbranded siemens DECT cordless phones. Any idea?

Sorry.... I have no idea of the protocols used on that one. Have you tried some net searches? There might be something available out there.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard