ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 205 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
C-H Offline
It's for shaver PLUGS only.

S
Why not try Maplin UK with the Schuko female to 13-amp British plug?

It's kind of useless to buy computer power cords considering you can get them from a junk pile if you work at a place that uses lots of computers...at least I do. [Linked Image]

T
Well, they don't give any real info on shipping costs to Austria, and I'm afraid I wouldn't want to hear the answer. Remember, I'm going there for 1 week. Considering my short hair I'll probably use my dryer twice. By now it's not clear if I'll really go there (still have to check with 4 classmates of mine + other hassles including dealing with eyp (european youth parliament) uk), and I HAVE that adaptor. (And there are dozens of _unfused_ UK travel adaptors around!), so maybe I'll just stick to C-H's suggestion, i.e leave the foil as is. A short will pretty sure trip a 32A breaker as well, overload is pretty unlikely here. Plus if we stay with host families either they have a hairdryer or I can plug mine into a fused power strip.
Anyway, if I buy anything I'll decide on that later on.
Thanks for your input.

C
C-H Offline
How about simply using a towel?

D
djk Offline
Those small white adaptors that fit US plugs are designed for people living in the UK/Ireland who want to plug in a shaver / electric toothbrush at a location other than in their bathroom (which has a special protected outlet of a similar shape)

They're specifically designed to protect a shaver with a 1A fuse on a ring circuit. Plugging a shaver straight into a 13Amp socket isn't an option they come with a special 2-pin plug, similar to but not the same as a Europlug. You can't (for obvious safety reasons) fit a larger fuse.

Larger appliences need either to be fitted with a 13Amp plug or you need to use an appropriate schuko to UK/Ireland adaptor.

Just bring your power strip (4-socket etc) and buy a plug here! They're sold EVERYWHERE, supermarkets (small and large), department stores, small shops, hardware stores (try woodies DIY which is a bit like B&Q or Mr. Bricolage), even petrol stations sell them! They're VERY easy to come-by unlike in other parts of europe where re-wirable plugs are discouraged. In Ireland they're as easy to come-by as 100W light bulbs!

T
Seems to be about the same thing about plugs as in Austria. Every supermarket has an aisle with light bulbs, batteries, power strips, plugs and stuff. Bigger stores even carry bulk cable, rewireable extension strips, light sockets,...
You're right that this is he most professional way, so I'll probably take our other (unfused) adaptor and try to get a plug (at the same thing in turin I never got to something like a supermarket. I just kept running around at the EYP venues).
Towel is the easiest way, but takes more time. (Something really precious at EYP sessions).

S
Shave your head. Completely. [Linked Image]

It dries faster that way.

All you have to do then is give it a brisk rub-down with a towel and you're dry.

P
I think that either fitting a BS1363 plug to your dryer or making up a short BS1363-to-Schuko adapter lead would probably be by far the easiest solution to this problem.

If you need a 13A (BS1363) plug and aren't likely to have time to go searching for one in the stores, I could mail one to you. (I have boxes full of the things! [Linked Image])

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard