ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 271 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#135433 01/10/03 01:43 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Just wan't to throw out a question,
Where you come from, how is three phase metered, in a Domestic or Light Commercial Installation, assuming that it is 3Phase+ Neutral.
Also, how would the Mains fuses be sized?.
As over here, the Rate at which a customer is charged, is based upon the maximum current draw of the fusing.
Your thoughts on this Topic, please- [Linked Image]

#135434 01/10/03 01:17 PM
C
C-H Offline
With analogue meters up to 200A. Above that digital meters with automatic reporting. That way the PoCo can charge you per hour basis: useful when it's cold. [Linked Image]

Many houses are heated electrically and the price of electricity is more than $.1 per kWh at the moment, ten times that of the price in summer. (In case of a rainy spring/summer they have to find something to do with the power, as they can't just open the hydropower dams. They were forced to in 2001, but the water took a few houses with it.)

There is talk of remote controlled meters, so that the PoCo can turn off non-critical load at peak load.

#135435 01/10/03 01:52 PM
L
Fuses are matched to declared load. NIE (Northern Ireland Electricity) have a number of standard tarrifs. Usually TP&N loads up to 100a are direct via the meter. After this CTs are employed.
Fuses are usually BS1361 type 11B.
Of course there are many special arrangements that can be made for heating etc.

regards

lyle dunn
#135436 01/10/03 01:55 PM
C
C-H Offline
Excuse my ignorance, but what are CTs?

#135437 01/10/03 05:30 PM
C
Current Transformers. Instead of directly reading the power flowing through the conductor, a CT senses the magnetic field induced around the conductor as current flows.

#135438 01/12/03 05:03 PM
P
EDF in France has some really complex tariffs geared toward electric heating and encouraging users to economize during periods of high demand.

Their "Option Tempo" divides the year up into red, white, and blue days. I can't recall the exact numbers off hand, but they're limited to something like a maximum of 30 red days per year, and a greater quantity of white days. Red days are the most expensive, white moderately so, and blue the "standard" rate. Within each of those divisions there are then day and night rates, giving SIX distinct cost-per-unit rates.

Within the limits set out, EDF decides each evening whether the following day will be red, white, or blue, based upon the weather forecast from the meteorological office in Toulouse. Consumers can have installed a signal box which displays the appropriate indication for the following day so that they know how much they will be paying.

#135439 01/18/03 12:46 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Paul,
That EDF system sounds, pretty good, it lets you know how much you are going to be charged, per kWh, and wether or not you should turn off your Non-essential loads, during the Red and White Periods.
Over here it is one big mess, people changing Power companies, to get the best deal, none of them staying long enough to enjoy any Good Customer bonuses.
I blame the last Government on this, they wanted cheap prices for Domestic places,
It has been like a game of Bullrush, but the Domestic people have all lost out, in favour of the Commercial and Industrial users.
It is based on kWh usage/year over here.
This is not good. [Linked Image]

#135440 01/18/03 07:42 AM
P
The situation is getting complex in the U.K. too. The deregulation of recent years means that you can buy your electicity from a variety of companies. I might be in East Anglia (East of England), but if I wanted I could contract with Scottish Power for my energy. Similarly, if I were to move p to far north of Scotland I could still keep paying TXU Energi (which took over Eastern Electricity a while ago) for my electricity.

It's all become quite bizarre; after all, the stuff still comes along the same cables as before.

#135441 02/08/03 12:20 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Scott35,
Is there any chance of getting a diagram with respect to the use of Current and Potential Transformers (CT's and PT's),
with regard to metering.
I can scan a couple of diagrams that I have,
for use in Technical Reference Area. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 02-07-2003).]

#135442 02/13/03 12:50 AM
F
ahh in usa for three phase meter we have dricet reading meters up to 200 amps BUT we also have " bolt on " meter it go up high as 600 (old versions are 400a) and new one are electronic meter and they are very accture reading no matter what leg or volts or wye or delta it dont affect it at all. my shop have big bolt on 400 a 480 wye service with electronc meter for higher currents class we use the ct ( it start at 200 a then go up what ever they use in the system i see it with ct with BIG 3.000 amps service and we have multi rate for big commercal user but for small commercall useer it have flat fee per KWH cost

merci marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard