ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 504 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#135443 03/04/03 01:59 PM
D
djk Offline
I was looking at overhead residential distribution cabling here in Ireland today a was just wondering exactly what's used. (Modern stuff would all be underground)

the poles carry 5 wires along the lowest one looks physically different cable from the other 4. Each house taps into one of the phases only and it seems to vary house to house to spread the load. Local shops etc seem to take connections from all 5 cables! for 3phase.

What's the 5th wire? system provided earth/ground?

The area's wiring would prob. date from the 40's / 50s some of it perhaps a lot older although im sure it's been upgraded over the years.

#135444 03/05/03 01:09 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
djk,
It wouldn't be some kind of a Pilot wire for a load control system, would it?.
Failing that, are you sure that it is not a wire for the streetlights control, as these are normally run off a different circuit from the distribution lines, this circuit is normally centrally-controlled, from a Daylight(photocell) switch.
Hope this helps. [Linked Image]

#135445 03/05/03 11:22 AM
D
djk Offline
Perhaps it is/was for controlling street lighting as it looks like a thinner cable

#135446 03/05/03 05:25 PM
P
A fifth wire to operate contactors for street lights used to be quite common in some British towns and villages. I still sometimes see old poles where the control wire has been removed but the brackets that used to hold the insulators for the fifth wire are still there.

#135447 03/07/03 02:24 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
djk/Paul,
Pilot wires were used over here for years, in some places, they are still used.
I remember when I first started out as a Trainee Liney, you had to "Identify all conductors", in some places there were Pilots
for Hot Water, Street-lights, Load dumping relays, and a spare wire that was taken back to the control centre, all on the same pole as the normal 3p+N.
Pilots, killed a friend of mine, that I done my time with, there are 400V between all of them, they are never on the same Phase. [Linked Image]

#135448 03/07/03 05:50 PM
Broom Pusher and
Trumpy,

Scott35,
Is there any chance of getting a diagram with respect to the use
of Current and Potential Transformers (CT's and PT's),
with regard to metering.
I can scan a couple of diagrams that I have,
for use in Technical Reference Area.

Just found this post today!

Ya, send them on over (scan and E-mail), and I'll see they get placed in the reference section.

I have some EE manual schematics for KWH meters, plus KVAR meters.
When time allows I'll draw up a few.

Scott35 S.E.T.

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#135449 03/08/03 07:59 AM
P
Most of the controls for this sort of thing are done by sending short HF signals down the lines these days.

For years it was common practice for the "Economy 7" domestic night rate to be governed by a timeclock installed alongside each meter. The "Radio Teleswitch" is now common. No clocks to adjust, and the PoCo can adjust the times from a central control point if they need to.

#135450 03/09/03 12:00 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Yeah Paul,
A lot our traditional Ripple supply signals,
are now sent by UHF and are injected at various points around our local Grid system,
saves having Pilot systems.
Another development over here, is the use of UHF (Almost like Packet Radio), to energise and de-energise certain parts of the HV and EHV systems, around here.
But good old Radio Telephones are still used to make sure that the Disconnection has actually happened, this will never be made obselete.
Don't trust this packet stuff, for this type of work though, what about Interference, but I am sure that they have got this figured into the equation.
Here's hoping!.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard