ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 278 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#135411 01/06/03 02:11 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Have you enough work to keep you going?.
Just willing to ask.
Over here in NZ, we are in the middle of summer, and what a hot one it is, 36 Degrees
Celsius, today.
We are flat out doing rewires, taking out old TRS cables, before the house burns down.
We have had a spate of house fires caused by these types of cables, everyone is running scared.
Do not like working up in roof voids, in these types of temperatures, it's twice as hot up there.
How are you guys going with respect to work levels?, are you flat out like us?. [Linked Image]

#135412 01/06/03 07:23 PM
L
I gave contracting up two years ago to concentrate on the provision of various training issues. One of the reasons that I gave it up was to do with the enormous amount of time I was spending on business. Kids grew up almost without me noticing! I know how demanding a small contracting business can be. However, I am sure you dont need me to tell you to fix your priorities. Family first and all that!
By the way it is currently minus 4 degrees centigrade here in Dromara Co.Down Northern Ireland.
I am damned glad I no longer have to climb through roof spaces - in hot or cold weather!

regards

lyle dunn
#135413 01/07/03 09:45 AM
P
Fairly quiet in my area at the moment, but then January isn't really a big time for house renovations in rural Norfolk.

As we had a few snow flurries yesterday and the temperature has dipped below 32 the last couple of nights, I'm quite happy to stay cozy indoors and concentrate on my other work for a few weeks!

#135414 01/07/03 03:49 PM
J
Down here in Southampton, England, our organisation is so busy we are looking for more staff!!!!

Had three calls on monday resulting in about £10,000 ( approx $15/ $17,000 )worth of work!

today started a large house, three sparks on that one, me out finishing an intruder alarm, wednesday, remove services from a building to be part demolished !!!

All in all we are as busy as i would like, (then again i love being busy, it takes my mind off of the everday worries),

John H

#135415 01/08/03 09:08 AM
B
Here by me it was terribly busy. And now it's all quiet again! It's funny how they all want you when you're busy!

#135416 01/08/03 01:56 PM
T
Hey Trumpy:

Have you seen these?
http://www.texascoolvest.com/index2.html

TW

#135417 01/08/03 02:08 PM
T
As you know I'm only a DIYer, and I don'T have much electrical work by now, except for changing an occasional plug. Next job will be some minor things in our new living room, after the floor sanding in the other rooms is finished (patch plaster, make connections and put in receptacles). Next major thing will be meter relocation in our other appartment (we're planning on knocking the partition wall down some day in the future), I'll put in the new meter cabinet (30x60 cm steel enclosure) and put in conduit and wires to the panel, electrician will put in the meter and make the connection. This will probably include rewiring part of the stairway lighting (relais and timer with pushbuttons on every floor, stoneaged wiring) because the wires run exactly through the only spot we can put the meter. Still wondering about the appropriate colrs though, old wires are black, black and black, with a short patch black, grey, red. Maybe black, blue and purple, as I suppose there's hot, neutral and wire running back to the relais. Anyway, considering the look of the wires I might end up rewiring the entire floor.
Weather here is -10 degrees Celsius with lots of snow (more than 15cm I guess), but today it was sunny. With that weather you can always see the kid inside me, going on bobsleigh afternoon. Yesterday we had a real snowstorm, with snow blowing through the gaps of some windows (we only weatherstripped the inner sashes, so the snow stopped resting between the 2 sashes)

#135418 01/09/03 01:52 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Trainwire,
WOW!!,Thanks for that, mate, must get me one of them.
If they are cost-effective enough, we may fit the whole Fire Brigade out with one.
Nothing worse than Heat stress or it's bigger brother,Heat Exhaustion, this kills
Firefighters and you have normally got it before it's too late.
Will definitely look into this one! [Linked Image]

#135419 01/09/03 06:08 PM
S
Busy, no complaints.
Let the weather be a factor.....
(we have 3' on the ground now..)

#135420 01/09/03 10:57 PM
H
Such jackets were (are?) a common product provided for newly hired miners on the South African gold mines on which I worked, until they became aclimatised. 45 deg C and plus 100% humidity was not uncommon at some places I knew.

I remember the mine manager at my first monthly technical meeting demanding to know from the ventilation officer what the temperature was in a certain working place. After much obfustication, the ventilation officer had to admit that he did not know as his man had passed-out before obtaining a reading. [Linked Image]

After two years working down there, I felt that I wasn't operating at maximum efficiency until it was steamy hot and I was sweating like the proverbial! [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Hutch (edited 01-09-2003).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard