ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
H
Hutch Offline OP
A question recently came up on the “NEC & other Code issues” forum regarding the use (or not thereof) of dimmers on circuits serving sockets – I am assuming with the thought of powering lamps. I would have thought that in the UK where the old style 2A three-pin socket is used on these types of wall switch operated table/bedside lamp set ups that having a dimmer at the switch would not be unacceptable. Joe Public would be unlikely to plug their vacuum cleaner into one of these sockets.

Any thoughts from the UK practitioners.

D
Hutch,
You are quite correct, there is no objection to dedicated 2A lamp sockets being fed via a dimmer switch. I have seen this set-up in a few houses.
As you know 13A BS 1363 sockets are used for all general purpose appliances such as vacuums, TV's etc.
2A BS 546 sockets are only for special purpose use nowadays, as stated in your post.

P
I still occasionally see some 2A outlets fed from a wall switch or a dimmer, but it's becoming quite rare now.

At one time, houses were often built with just a single central ceiling light in each room, and only high-priced construction seemed to include wall lights and other extras. The result is that many have had such lights added in very "ingenious" ways, and much of the wiring leaves a lot to be desired.

Wall lights, under shelf lights and so on are being demanded more in new/remodel work these days, but switched receptacles are still very rare.

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 01-01-2003).]

T
Oh yeah. I remember one run directly horizontal from the panel. Had to disconnecti it by more or less gutting the panel, The loose ends sticking out of the wall were taped up with band aid which eventually got loose and fell off. In this appartment there were at least 3 wall sconces per room, all switch controlled, which means the walls were literally plastered with switches, we had no idea what they were used for. Some of the switches and receptacles were of a tiny italian type, I have absolutely no idea why.
One of the lights was wired as follows: 3 wires (switched phase, unswitched phase and neutral) up to the ceiling fixture. 2 wires continuing all the way across the ceiling and down the other wall. Going to the bedside lamp, then spliced to 0.5mm2 LV zip cord, spliced to 1.5 mm2 wires, feeding a RECEPTACLE!

P
[Linked Image]

Sounds all too familiar. I had a house like that a year or so ago: Switches added all over the place, and lights run on 1mm cable which was just tapped into the nearest circuit (a 30A ring in most cases!).

On a couple of sconce fittings the wires just fell out when I lifted the bracket from the wall.

Link Copied to Clipboard