ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
2 members (Scott35, gfretwell), 276 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#135198 12/27/02 02:57 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
How much real evidence is there to stipulate, the claims of the New Age Movement, with respect to EMF's inside a house or similar building?.
We work with these currents every day at, switch-boards, large Distribution Boards.What is your verdict on this whole thing?. [Linked Image]

#135199 12/27/02 04:23 AM
P
I don't think there's any concrete evidence at the moment. I'm not saying that at very high intensities that fields may not have a detrimental effect, but that has yet to be proven and I think the whole thing has been blown out of all proportion.

#135200 12/27/02 09:23 AM
C
C-H Offline
There are indeed health effects from very strong electromagnetical fields. This was discovered by the Soviet Union (!). Somehow, I suspect they had fields magnitudes stronger than what you encounter in the western world. [Linked Image]

Old computer screens have electromagnetical fields strong enough to cause problems. I always regarded this as nonsense until I for a period of time used a workstation. My face felt "hot" when working and I got lots of pimples. I later found out I wasn't the only one experiencing problems. I've never had a problem with more modern screens, nor any other equipment. I agree with Paul that the whole thing has been blown way out of proportion.

[This message has been edited by C-H (edited 12-27-2002).]

#135201 12/28/02 08:19 PM
Trumpy Offline OP
C-H,
What evidence is there, that the EM Fields in
Russia, could be larger than anywhere else?.
I read in an Australian Electronics magazine, a few years ago that the normal EMF
levels,inside a building are a lot lower than
first thought, because the fields in the Phase and Neutral wires of cable, cancel each other out.
It seems to make sense I suppose, but what do you think of this concept?. [Linked Image]

#135202 12/28/02 10:51 PM
B
Someday maybe research will find a statistical correlation showing that worrying about getting cancer is indeed more dangerous than any actual exposure.

#135203 12/29/02 12:10 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Bj,
We all work around the voltages that cause this sort of Cancer, but, working live-lines on 11, 33 and 66kV, I have yet to meet a
Line Mechanic or Faultsman(like myself),who has been adversley affected by working around EHV lines or part thereof. [Linked Image]

#135204 12/29/02 11:16 AM
B
12 and 115kV at this end (retired now.) I agree, that by rights we should all be dead, and probably to some—buried as toxic or radioactive waste for good measure.

#135205 12/30/02 11:20 AM
C
C-H Offline
Trumpy: Yes, the neutral and phase do cancel out. This is an issue in DC as well. Car magazines here recently began measuring the EMF in the passenger compartment, along with all the usual tests. For a traditional car, it's not an issue: The battery is in the front and only low currents are used in the wires close to the driver and passengers. However, in latest generation of cars, the engineers have run out of space under the bonnet. Therefore the battery in some cars have now been placed in the trunk. This means that the current needed to start the car (around 100A) pass under the passengers. If the metal frame of the car is used as the return conductor, the EMF reach a high level. Adding a return conductor in parallell with the first reduces the EMF with something like 90%.

No, I don't have any evidence for the Soviet using stronger electromagnetic fields than the West. It was just me being prejudiced again. [Linked Image]

#135206 01/03/03 01:48 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
C-H,
Since when did it take 100A to start a car?,
We have batteries over here as standard, with a CCA rating of 400-500Amps, electronic start notwithstanding, it still takes a fair amount of current to start an IC Engine.
Somehow, I think that I have just hit a large Hornets nest here. [Linked Image]

#135207 01/03/03 01:57 AM
S
C-H, your comment about car batteries in the boot reminded me of an incident back in 1986. My middle-school (7th grade) math teachers comes to work with a bandaged finger.

After class I ask him what happened and he told me he was changing the battery in his car (an Audi) and got his finger pinched when he moved the driver's side chair to get to the battery.

Since I was always used to seeing car batteries in the engine compartment I was somewhat confused. That's when he told me that the Audi designers put the battery in the passenger compartment - somewhere under the seat...

Years ago I also seen some buses with the battery (a huge 24 volt block with eight or 10 of those yellow screwcaps to access the cells) in the passenger compartment. It sat between the driver's chair (a bit under the chair) and the wall to his left.

Manufacturers may have polished things a bit better now and hidden the battery. These were old 1960s municipal buses.

On some small trucks it hangs on a tray from the bottom of the truck body.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard