ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#135160 12/22/02 01:38 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Joe was saying about Smoking on the General
Discussion Area.
Am I the only person that does smoke in the
whole ECN world?.
My smoking started through my years as a
Fire-Fighter, with going to Fatal Car crashes,large Fires, etc, I am not looking to give this up in a hurry.

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 12-22-2002).]

#135161 12/22/02 07:54 AM
https://www.electrical-contractor.net/jt/smokerslung.jpg

Smokerslung

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 08-01-2003).]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
#135162 12/22/02 08:24 AM
P
I've never smoked myself, and I never intend to start.

Back when I was around 16 or 17 I took one puff from a cigarette, not with any intention to smoke it all, but just to see if it was as bad as I imagined it to be. It was! Ugh!

My father smoked quite a bit when I was young, so perhaps I didn't notice the smell so much, but now I'm in a completely non-smoking household I really notice if anyone lights up nearby.

I respect the right of anyone else to smoke if he so wishes, just please don't do it around me!

#135163 12/22/02 12:43 PM
C
C-H Offline
I don't smoke, but I don't mind other people smoking as long as they do it outdoors. The image of smoking has become rather tarnished in the past decade. Today, the most common smoker seems to be low paid women. Doesn't really attract people in the same way as the models in the tobacco ads of the 1960's. Which is a good thing, in my humble opinion.

Tobacco carries a warning label, "Causes cancer", and has done so for a good many years. Tobacco ads are illegal. Alcohol ads used to be illegal too, but this ban was lifted a earlier this year. Workers here normally use "snus" (tobacco you put in your mouth) rather than cigarettes.

I myself - just like half the people of this country - is addicted to coffe. On cup in the morning, one after lunch and at least two in the afternoon... (We don't have decaf here, luckily.)

[This message has been edited by C-H (edited 12-22-2002).]

#135164 12/22/02 01:20 PM
J
Dont worry Trumpy,

I am with you on the smoking thing as i and three of my work mates smoke as well.

Having been smoking for over 20 years and from what my doctor has said and from the last scans i had for insurance reasons, my lungs are like cast iron, I didnt believe them, so they put me on a few of these test machines and low and bewhold i can still breathe ( as well as someone who is my age and a little overweight).

I gave up for about a year or so, dunno what happened and i started again, but during that time i put on a few kilos.

So i am one of the moral minority and i will not give up, or the coffee, tea and beer (after work only on the beer)

Good food, loads of exercise and a good woman keeps me fit.

#135165 12/22/02 02:29 PM
O
Me is a Smoker.

#135166 12/22/02 03:58 PM
B
Does anyone remember the NECA-magazine article from about a dozen years ago where, at that time, 48% of electricians smoked.

Of all my vices, smoking is not one. And—just think! The way things are going, I should be able to sue McDnlds by next year for causing my deadly “burger belly.”

#135167 12/22/02 06:03 PM
D
Reformed smoker, haven't had a cigarette since 1999, unless you count the ones I passively smoked in a customer's house last week. I made an excuse to go out to the van so I could get some fresh air.

#135168 12/23/02 08:22 AM
T
Convinced non-smoker, only people I mind smoking: people I'm in a small room with and my girlfriends. My parents are strict non-smokers, everyone who smokes has to go outside.
When I was on a 1day trip with an electrician (we have to spend 1 "job orientation day" at a company at the age of 14, beacause then our scholl system offers the choice whether to continue with another 4 years high school, change school or start an apprenticeship), I went to a customer who obviously was a chain smoker and never opened any window! I was glad we had to fix the doorbell, so I could go outside and try it.

#135169 12/23/02 10:51 AM
S
I smoked irregularly (probably one cigarette every month or so) when I was a teenager. Never bought them...I always bummed them off classmates or stole them from my cousin (who smoked), etc. [Linked Image]

If I ever felt like smoking I wanted it to be something recreational, relaxing and contemplative (you know the stereotypicial "sitting at a cafe on the Seine with a Gaulois clenched between my teeth while pondering the state of the world" type thing).

However all the people I see smoking are always huddled in doorways in the cold puffing frantically away before having to run back upstairs to their offices.

And it's usually cheap cigarettes that STINK (almost everyone here in New York smokes)! That turned me away from it. Plus it made my hands freezing cold.

It turns into an addiction. You can't control it. I don't like things I can't control.

If I wanted to smoke, it was when I mentally felt like it, not when my body craved the nicotine.

Plus...I'm a skinflint. Cigarettes are expensive here ($7.50 a pack for the cheap ones because of all the taxes)....got better
things to spend that kind of money on. [Linked Image]

Now the mayor has prohibited smoking in bars and discos. What the hell??? Since when do you go to a tavern to eat health-food? You go to a tavern to get drunk. Period. It's not a place for health nuts. [Linked Image]

If you really want something bad for your lungs...stand next to one of our countless gasoline & diesel-powered buses, trucks, cars or ferry boats belching out black smoke from their exhaust pipes. That'll kill you in an instant!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard