ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#135170 12/24/02 05:40 PM
P
I myself - just like half the people of this country - is addicted to coffe. On cup in the morning, one after lunch and at least two in the afternoon... (We don't have decaf here, luckily.)

Gee, you class that as being addicted to coffee? [Linked Image]

I guess that by Swedish standards I must be completely beyond redemption! I usually have two cups before starting work in the morning, another mid-morning, one with lunch, another mid-afternoon, one after dinner, and at least another two during the evening. And that's when I'm out on a job; on days that I'm working from home I probably fit at least another two or three in during the day.

I'd bet that a large number of our American friends also get through a similar quantity. [Linked Image]

#135171 12/24/02 11:01 PM
N
Pipe smoker on job sites except where prohibited. If resturant does not have a smoking section I go someplace else.
Drink a pot of coffee almost every day.
It's great to enjoy some pleasures.

ed
#135172 12/25/02 01:16 AM
T
I just drink one (20 oz) cup in the morning. at 4:45 am, while I am still figuring out why the door comes out from the wall instead of the floor. [Linked Image]
TW

Don't smoke, although the loco's I deal with you sometimes come home hacking and coughing like you do.

#135173 12/27/02 01:40 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Hang on a minute,
Every person, is entitled to have two vices,
For me, it is Smoking and the odd Beer, I don't Gamble,or engage in licentious behaviour, I am not quite married yet,and I do not want to ruin my chances. [Linked Image]

#135174 07/19/03 05:41 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Yeah,
Just wondered how many of our newer members actaully smoked.
It's not something I condone though, If I could give it up I would.
Did you know, that apparently, cigarettes are harder to give up than Heroin.
Having never tried H myself, I'll take thier word for it!. [Linked Image]

#135175 07/19/03 06:13 AM
I
Trumpy I smoked cigarettes a few times on the bus to be cool but luckily I never got hooked on them.

My Dad passed from lung cancer ten years back, even while on oxygen he would sneak a smoke now and then. It must be a hard habit to put aside if you need to keep at it when you can not breath on your own.

To this day I miss him terribly, he was a good friend.

Had he been able to quit he might be here to see my daughters.

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#135176 07/19/03 06:55 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Bob,
Sorry to hear that your Dad passed away like that.
Since I posted that original posting, I have given up drinking and smoking is next on the list, I have cut way down, from what I used to smoke.
It was just so hard to climb poles and put up ladders.
Smoking itself, has a bad "look" these days,
even though lots of governments are still taking funds from Tobacco companies and they are still taxing us smokers, because of the "Health Risks"!. [Linked Image]

#135177 07/19/03 07:07 AM
D
djk Offline
Ireland's extending its smoking ban to bars/pubs from January 1st 2004. Should be interesting to see how it works out.

It basically extends the smoking ban (Applies in all work places). Removes smoking sections in restaurants, the smoking sections on long distance trains will also be removed.

The bar/pub ban is being pushed by bar workers. Once it is inacted they will have a very definite right to sue employers who don't enforce it for placing their health at risk.

In general smoking rates are going down quite a bit here although it's still high compared to say California. Generally though it's becoming more and more anti-social.

The other slightly strange environmental legislation here is the extension of the polluter pays taxes.

So far there is a 15¢ charge on all plastic bags. This has resulted in shoppers reverting to bringing shopping bags/baskets/backpacks and stores issuing reusable bags. It's been an outstanding sucess and it's rare to see a plastic bag these days. A lot of stores simply don't provide them at all anymore. (they might have paper, but you have to ask). Also if you do use plastic everyone looks at you like you're some kind of eco-scum! Old ladies "tut" etc.

They are now extending it to control litter:
Chewing gum's being taxed
along with a 15¢ charge on ATM reciepts. From the time the legislation comes into force the machine will give you an option of displaying your balance on screen or printing a reciept (at a charge)

Fast food packaging of a non-biodegradable type will also be subject to a 15¢ charge per item of packaging. These charges have to be individually itemised on the receipt and can't be absorbed.

#135178 07/19/03 07:13 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
djk,
Just a small question,
If everyone gives up smoking, would everyone else like to pay more tax, to cover what the government, lost out on banning smoking?. [Linked Image]

#135179 07/19/03 11:23 AM
D
djk Offline
Ever see the health care bill associated with smoking related diseases??!

It far outweighs the tax take on cigarettes!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard