ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#1346 05/07/01 09:38 PM
S
STEVE Offline OP
I wanted to drop a line and ask what you guys thought of the SQ. D home line panels.
SQ.D is a good industrial brand, but the homelines I think the nuetral bars are to close to the breakers. It gets a little nerve racking when your working that close to the breaker load side terminals. I still like Murrays design, with the split nuetral.
STEVE
THOMPSON ELECTRIC

#1347 05/08/01 12:05 AM
S
Originally posted by STEVE:
I wanted to drop a line and ask what you guys thought of the SQ. D home line panels.

I don't like them they just look cheap to me. I prefer the Murray and GE panels. I have been getting some good deals on GE lately. Plus I know that I always be able to get breakers for them just about anywhere.

SQ.D is a good industrial brand, but the homelines I think the nuetral bars are to close to the breakers. It gets a little nerve racking when your working that close to the breaker load side terminals. I still like Murrays design, with the split nuetral.
STEVE
THOMPSON ELECTRIC

#1348 05/08/01 06:23 AM
S
Homeboy panels! there ok, but i think they were marketed to be competitive, as they are not the quality of the QO line...

[Linked Image]

#1349 05/08/01 08:27 AM
R
Steve,
I don't think there are any conditions where OSHA will permit you make connections in an energized residential panel.
Don(resqcapt19)

Don(resqcapt19)
#1350 05/08/01 09:08 AM
I like GE too, they improved the "fit " of the beakers do to complaints of them being loose.

I've worked industrial where we had safety gear head to tow and taped everything off with caution tape, never worked hot, etc...it also took all friggin' week to do a "normal" days work.

In residential, OSHA aside, the "woodies" like to have power to their tools, the "muddies" want lights to see by, etc, etc, and the guffaws will fly if you wear as much as a hardhat, (I've tested that one). Heck, just wear gloves around here and you're called a sissy.

I guess there's a "real world" view to all of this, I could just see myself showing up at a jobsite with a hardhat, safety glasses, full body harness, two lanyards, knee pads, shin guards, steel toe boots, leather gloves, tie off some caution tape, set up some orange cones, set up a tall ladder so I don't have to stand on the step with the danger sign, kill the main (or perhaps use a hotstick to kill the Xformer?) and change a light bulb. Yeah, they'd hire me back again... [Linked Image]

OK, so I exaggerate, but do you see my point?

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 05-08-2001).]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#1351 05/08/01 09:10 AM
Woops, meant to edit, but somehow I double posted...

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 05-08-2001).]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#1352 05/08/01 07:29 PM
S
Virgil;
it's all a game, only it's the powers that be that own the ball & bat!

[Linked Image]

#1353 05/08/01 09:42 PM
G
Originally posted by sparky:
Homeboy panels! there ok, but i think they were marketed to be competitive, as they are not the quality of the QO line...

[Linked Image]

Ditto,

I'm surprised to see so many GE fans here. My experience with GE has not been so good. Broken tabs on the buss, breakers that won't trip with a dead short....the #10 wire fused and the breaker never did trip.

Locally, squareD is most popular, followed by CH, and ITE.

GJ

#1354 05/08/01 10:02 PM
M
here in miami, theres a supply house for every brand.. it seems like ITE/Seimens is most popular here.. its mostly all we used.. both industrial and res, and also for meter/main combos.. sometimes we have to use a GE meter/main when we need a different size.. from using the 2 i like the ite's better.. better, more well thought out design... the GE's just seem kind of dinky, for the bolt ins, and plug in breakers.. just seems like bad design/poor quality.. i like square d a lot, but we dont see a lot of em here... their commercial panels cant be beat.. at my school (south miami sr. high) they use only square d bolt ins (with FAT handles) and the MDP is a square d frame, but it has a 1600 amp ITE breaker.. weird!

in general though, i like ite.. good availability, selection, quality, design, and fit.. i like it...

-m

Remember when you read my posts, im only 17, still learning... "Hey, its takes what it takes!"
#1355 05/08/01 10:24 PM
S
A few years ago, I swore by Square D, but I don't think much of the HomeLine load centers. Siemens, Cutler Hammer, and GE all make good load centers. If you are really concerned about the quality, and you have a customer that insists on Square D, step up from a residential grade load center to a commercial grade panelboard, and hit them with the difference in price. All four bands mentioned above make top quality equipment on the commercial grade level. I really don't much care for load centers made by any brand. To me, panelboards are the only way to fly.

HMEL #688

Link Copied to Clipboard