ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#135002 12/17/02 02:06 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
What type of work vehicle, do you drive during your normal day?.
Would it be a van, ute, vanette, Truck?.
Your input please-

#135003 12/17/02 09:02 AM
T
Legendary work vehicle for electricians, plumbers,... used to be Toyota LiteAce. Many of them still around, but start being replaced with VW, Fiat and other types. There's one electrician around who drives a brand-new Chevy pickup, and everyone thinks he's nuts (imported American cars are rather expensive here and their reputation is not the best, many people say they consume too much gas, are too big, look awful, V8 engines sound awful,... just some of the prejudice against US cars). Only proven fact is taht they cost more than a usual craftsman can pay for a work vehicle.

#135004 12/17/02 11:43 AM
P
Just recently, I've been using a Bedford van, or even taking my Volvo station wagon to smaller jobs where I don't need big ladders etc.

Ranger,
For about 10 years I drove American cars in England, including a '72 Pontiac, '78 Olds, '79 Chrysler, and a '77 Ford LTD wagon. I found that some people have very strange ideas about the cost and availability of parts, fuel consumption, ease of driving larger cars, etc.

Plus all the ones who thought that anyone who'd have a left-hand drive vehicle in the U.K. must be mad!

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 12-17-2002).]

#135005 12/17/02 01:00 PM
S
Tex:

European cars used to be cute. American cars seem like these grimacing, fearsome beasts with fangs. Look at a Zastava/Yugo or a DAF sitting next to a Chevrolet one of these days...and you'll see the difference. [Linked Image]

However the new breed of European cars seem to be just as ugly as the American counterparts.

Look at the new Volkswagen or the new Mini-Cooper. UGH!! [Linked Image]

I wish we had more choice when it comes to vehicles in the USA. I'd like to be able to see Ladas, Fiats, Skodas, Yugo/Zastavas and Renaults rolling down the street. [Linked Image]

Anyone have an opinion on the Proton from Malaysia? It seems to be affordable (and some people say it's good)....

#135006 12/17/02 01:06 PM
T
My favourite's still the Trabant 601 (600 wait, one gets it). [Linked Image]
Cute plastic body and fantastic 2-stroke sound. Only alternative is Citroen 2CV. The 2 cylinder engine doesn't sound bad either. And the body... it was the last car for centuries to have the headlights seperately on a piece of pipe and not incorporated in the hood. And don't forget the fantastic suspension! The French used to know how to build that.

#135007 12/18/02 01:16 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
I drive a Hyundai H100 van, for most of my work, this vehicle is a bit of a nuisance to a person of my hieght, as you really have to stand on tip-toes to get the ladders off the racks on the roof, I stand 1.76m tall, and it's still a stretch.
It's a Diesel, it's as noisy as hell, but man, has it got good pick-up and it cruises well.
But at least I can get all of my tools and rubbish inside it, so nothing else really matters!.
Just as a sideline, when I was doing my time as a Line Mechanic, the Power Board had me sit all sorts of licences, to drive various
Equipment, that they owned, including an Elevated Bucket Truck, Pole Driving Truck,
and a Mobile Substation Truck, this thing has to be seen, to be believed.
However, I've only ever used the EBT licence, since leaving the Power board.
[Linked Image]

#135008 12/18/02 04:46 AM
C
C-H Offline

However the new breed of European cars seem to be just as ugly as the American counterparts.

Look at the new Volkswagen or the new Mini-Cooper. UGH!!

The new Beetle is Mexican, not European. [Linked Image]

If you want to see cute cars, look at the old Fiat models, e.g. 500 or 126. The production of the latter siezed only recently. (Below!)

[Linked Image from i.kth.se]

I wish we had more choice when it comes to vehicles in the USA. I'd like to be able to see Ladas,

[Linked Image] You are kidding, right? I don't think Ladas are exported anymore...

Skodas,

That's what the electricans, plumbers and the like drive here... (Mostly with the top rather than the open tray, though)

[Linked Image from i.kth.se]

Yugo/Zastavas

The Balkan wars have taken their toll on these cars I think. Were Yugos ever exported to western Europe, btw? They were sold in the US and one of the late models was named "Florida"... (The original Yugo was a Fiat 128 made in Serbia, just like the Vaz/Lada was a Fiat 124 made in Russia)

Anyone have an opinion on the Proton from Malaysia? It seems to be affordable (and some people say it's good)....

If there's a Proton, why isn't there an Electron? It would be the obvious choice for any self-respecting electrician [Linked Image]

#135009 12/20/02 04:15 PM
P
Were Yugos ever exported to western Europe, btw?
They've certainly been sold in the U.K. I can't remember the model names, but they are really tiny cars (look like they escaped from a fairground ride!).

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 12-20-2002).]

#135010 12/20/02 11:57 PM
Trumpy Offline OP
C-H,
A mate of mine(who works for a competitor company), was given a Proton, to drive during work, he said it was real good, best
vehicle he had ever driven,and really economical to run too.
We all know how you can clock up a few K's in a van, over a year, he's already done 10,
000km and he's only had it 3months.

Link Copied to Clipboard