ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 302 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#134983 12/15/02 01:20 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
How much is Electronics, encroaching on your
normal work?.
We now have High Frequency Ballasts, Soft-Starters, Electronic Y-D Starters and Micro-
Drive Motor controllers.
How do you feel about these new technologies?.

#134984 12/15/02 08:38 AM
P
No problem for me, but as you know a large part of my work is electronics anyway.

My only real criticism is that sometimes it seems as though manufacturers are installing complex circuitry just for the sake of it. It doesn't take a Kray-supercomputer to run a toaster!

#134985 12/15/02 01:54 PM
L
As an inspection engineer the widespread use of electronic equipment in buildings has certainly moulded the way I carry out even the most simple testing procedures. For example, insulation resistance tests on existing installations are almost impossible. Not only could electronic equipment be damaged by the test voltage but most switch mode power supply units will have filtering equipment connected to earth.
The harmonics produced by such equipment will also affect the way I might determine appropriately sized neutrals in 3phase and neutral systems. Careful consideration also needs to be given to high protective conductor currents which are a direct result of the normal function of certain electronic equipment in buildings.
The enormous changes brought about by electronic advances in the electro-technical sector is what makes this industry dynamic, exiting and, of course, well worth while being part of!

regards

lyle dunn
#134986 12/16/02 01:10 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Lyle,
Welcome to ECN, nice to have someone from Ireland in the ECN group.
I certainly agree with your comments on Electronics, making Insulation Resistance testing more difficult, even a simple light dimmer in a house, can add an extra 10 minutes,to a job, through having to bridge it out.
Another thing that concerns me about using Electronics, is that it requires extra protection against voltage variations and spikes, whereas standard electrical gear does not require this.

#134987 12/21/02 12:55 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
I have concerns, about Designers of Electrical installations, especially as far as Industrial Controls go.
Recently, I was asked to install an automatic inking system at the local meat works, for all of their Inedible waste.
I figured that it could all have been done with 2 timers and a Contactor, but no,
what turns up, from this guy is a PLC, a multitude of sensors, limit switches and a whole host of Em/Stop stations.
It's OK, if you don't have to install all of this, but the real crunch came when the PLC was faulty, and then later on the program had a few "glitches" in it.
All I thought, was why put our client through all of this, it took ages to fix it all up, WHY!.
2 timers and a Contactor. [Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard