ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 247 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#134971 12/12/02 02:11 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Weather-proof socket-outlets and light switches.
What type do you use where you are?.
Is there a rating system for varying degrees of weather-proofness?.
How is a seal achieved, with these fittings?,
do you have to use an extra sealing agent,
such as Silicone RTV, to totally seal it?.
Your help please-

#134972 12/12/02 06:58 AM
C
C-H Offline
The IP system is used in Europe. I suspect that NZ use it too?

(Outdoor devices here are usually IP 44)

I don't understand your question about sealing agent: Do you mean between the box and the device? There are gaskets for this purpose. I don't think I have ever seen a box used outdoors, though. Normally surface mount devices are used in Sweden. Then each cable is simply routed through the gasket or cable gland/bushing (unsure of terminology)

Picture of socket:
[Linked Image from i.kth.se]

#134973 12/12/02 09:27 AM
T
surface mount: see Sweden. Flush mount devices come in a standard box but have shutters and a cover like the surface-mount ones. The covers are spring-loaded and have a sealing ring around them. These devices are weatherproof, but mainly used in bathrooms and basements. (AFAIK even finished basements count as a damp space here and have to be wired with NYM (Romex) in conduit.
I once saw such a switch completely burnt down. Story tells that it was ripped out of the box and later some students put some fireworks into the box. Nice look!

#134974 12/12/02 03:10 PM
P
The IP rating system is now used in the U.K. as well. Where surface-mounting devices are used, we also generally have a rubber sealing gasket clamped between the two halves, and a rubber (or PVC) gland, similar to the one pictured by C-H.

Some sockets are designed to be weathertight only when not in use, while others have a cover which will close over an inserted plug and allow use in all weathers.

#134975 12/14/02 11:59 PM
Trumpy Offline OP
C-H,
I was merely asking if, a sealant had to be used, between the wall and the surface-mounted fitting, around the sides, to keep moisture from entering through the base of the fitting.
Yes, the IP system is used over here, it makes so easy in selecting enclosures and other fittings to be used outdoors.
I do quite a bit of work in Freezing Works and with these being Hosing down Areas, we require IP ratings of IP56-66 and also Chemical resistance(Chlorine Foam), everything needs to be well sealed. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 12-14-2002).]

#134976 12/15/02 08:58 AM
C
C-H Offline

I was merely asking if, a sealant had to be used, between the wall and the surface-mounted fitting, around the sides, to keep moisture from entering through the base of the fitting.

Ah, you mean if one has cut a hole for the cable/wires in the back of the fitting? No, I don't think this is sealed, but it probably should be.

[This message has been edited by C-H (edited 12-15-2002).]

Link Copied to Clipboard