ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#134722 12/09/02 04:25 AM
O
Dont let it beat you up Trumpy, The law is the law. We dont make them, just have to follow them.
CW

#134723 12/09/02 07:03 PM
P
I always knew there was something I liked about those countries where if the majority of people see a law as unfair they just ignore it (officials included in some cases [Linked Image])

#134724 12/10/02 04:55 AM
O
I had the same problem with poll tax when it came so i left.

CW

#134725 12/11/02 02:23 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Craig,
Where were you living when the Poll Tax come in?.
But, how do your work colleagues, feel about this new kick in the guts, regarding RCD's,
this is going to change Electrical Contracting, forever, this will be the make or break for the Sole Trader Electrician, just see that I am wrong.(I hope so)

#134726 12/11/02 04:43 AM
O
Me was living in the East-End of London, lived there for 5 years on an OE.
End of the day Trumpy there are to many contractors around anyway all they do is force the prices down get some them in paid employ and We can start charging a half decent fee for the work we do instead of getting work at any cost.
CW

#134727 12/12/02 02:01 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Yes, I agree there Craig.
I recently read an interesting article about
who should pay for Electrical Safety, the COC
system, etc.
It paralleled it with the WoF, you have on your car, if you asked the Mechanic to pay for your WoF, the response would probably be
not to your liking.
People should pay the full cost of thier own safety, after all, it's them that it protects, RCD's, COC's the lot, if they do not like it they should complain to the Regulators, they started it all.
Just as a sideline, Craig, did you also know that you are not allowed to use the green wire(even if sleeved), as an additional switch wire, this I think is the most annoying new rule, especially as far as existing installations are concerned.
Using this wire, is sometimes, the only option, if you can't run a new wire.
I'm puzzled as to the reason for this inclusion. [Linked Image]

#134728 12/12/02 05:12 AM
O
I think that changed awhile ago we always have run a strap (3 core)i think its a good rule, they seem to be encouraging home owners to bugger with there own wiring. beat me why Have you noticed how a people will mess with there own wiring but not touch there plumbing ?
CW

#134729 12/12/02 06:39 AM
C
C-H Offline

Just as a sideline, Craig, did you also know that you are not allowed to use the green wire(even if sleeved), as an additional switch wire, this I think is the most annoying new rule, especially as far as existing installations are concerned.

You mean you used the earth wire as a live wire? [Linked Image]

#134730 12/12/02 03:18 PM
P
Me was living in the East-End of London, lived there for 5 years on an OE.
Which part were you in Craig? I ask because I'm originally from north London myself -- Just curious!

Looks like those of us not in NZ need some education on abbreviations again. Trumpy, Appy, could you explain COC and WoF please? [Linked Image]

As you mentioned the latter relating to cars, I'd guess this is some sort of inspection. (Warrant of Fitness, maybe?)

Re using a re-identified green wire, are we to assume that in your equivalent of Romex the earth wire is normally fully insulated to the same degree as the phase and neutral? In British NM-type cable the earth is just a bare conductor within the sheath, although the IEE Regs. do now require it to be sleeved at terminations.

#134731 12/13/02 05:27 AM
O
COC = Certificate of Compliance is a wriiten guarantee to the owner/occupier that with prescibed electrical work has been completed in accordance with the current rules,regulations and in accordance with the Act law) completed by the electrician and inspector ( if required ) completed in triplicate, one copy to the owner one to the sparky and one to the board.
WOF = yes normally relates to cars but is also relative to electrical work in relation to Caravan's or Connectable Installations they require a electrical Warrant of Fitness every 4 years and can only be done by an Inspector

Yes it was common practice to have a green insulated conductor, sleeved red for a live switch wire on a 2 way circuit and no doubt in house where it is really hard to pull a strap wire (3 core) down a wall it still is.

I lived in Archway, Hackney Wick, Leyton, and Walthamstow while in london and really enjoyed every minute of it, almost stayed there.
cheers Craig

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard