ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 96 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#134647 11/24/02 12:54 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
I was asked by a customer recently, what the Hell this Electrical Technician thing means?.
I am almost an Electrical Inspector, but not quite.
Anyone else got any questions as to what I am?
Bring it on! [Linked Image]

S
Trumpy, is this a question as to what we do, or how we identify ourselves doing it?

PS~ like "Sanitation Technician?"
[Linked Image]

J
well then Trumpy
over here in good old Great Britain we have a few different descriptions as to what we are,

within the organisation i work for i am known as Electrical/Security Consultant Engineer.

me personally am just a sparky.!!

the comapny can call me what they want, we have electrical engineers / Technician ( short for a trainee / apprentice with not a lot of time left to serve), and of course your good old Sparks or Sparky.

I think using the term Technician is just a badge to make the person feel better, me i would prefer a pay rise instead of a fancy title, but i dont make the rules i just install to them.!!!

P
The terminology varies from organization to organization.

At various times I've been known officially as a TTA (Trainee Technician Apprentice), a TO (Technical Officer), a Telephone Engineer, and a TV Technician. I also calss myself as a technical writer/author.

Being self-employed it sometimes pays to adjust one's title depending upon the task at hand. I never mention the writer part of my occupation when applying for auto insurance, for example, as the clerk is likely to classify me as a journalist (higher rates).

O
Technicially speaking i would be one of those Technicians at the moment.

CW

S
yeah....it's just hard to look that 'technical' appearing out of a crawl space...

J
Hay Sparky,

or from under a floor covered in cobwebs and dirt.!!!

P
Or from some dusty attic in a "quaint Norfolk cottage....." where every cable clip hammered has released 2 oz. of dirt from above!

Trumpy Offline OP
Hang on a minute,
I hold two tickets,here in NZ, and I am just about to get a third.
I am Qualified as an Electrician(first and foremost), I am also a Qualified Line Mechanic, the reason why I am called an Electrical Technician, because of the Faults and Underground work, that I do.
I was required to be trained up to this level, when I was with the local Power Board,
I hated it, at the time, I love it now, although the pay-rates could be better. [Linked Image]

O
Electrical service technicians are qualified to change plugs and thats about all here in NZ, no hard core electrical work for us. thats the reason i have just completed an Apprenticeship as a electrician at the age of 40 ("old Appy")i sat my trade cert. last weekend and regs this weekend gone. and now hope for the best.

cheers Craig

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard