ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/22/24 10:36 AM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 227 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
C
C-H Offline
>Sorry for all the pix and the long post

[Linked Image] Sorry for? We aren't forced to read it, you know [Linked Image] Thanks for all the pix and the long post!

T
The pins of the outlet-to-lampholder thing look awfully safe!

I just started browsing through de.sci.elektrotechnik
Lots of interesting information! Worst thing seems to be the old german grounding method. They just pull a jumper from the PEN to the ground at each individual Schuko receptacle. This is also the only legal way of replacing an ungrounded receptacle.
One guy complained about the ground of one of his receptacles being live @230V!
30mA RCD protection is required in bathrooms and for outdoor receptacles (maybe kitchens as well, didn't get that sorted out) since 1986, in other areas recommended.

P
Lots of houses burnt down, especially due to tenants hooking up 2kw electric heaters to these devices
I actually once met a fellow who thought that he could save money by connecting his heater to the lighting circuit. His logic was that the lights were only on a 5A branch circuit, so it would use less power! [Linked Image]

Adapters used to be sold in the U.K. too for connecting a 2-pin 5A plug to a bayonet lamp-holder, and vice versa. They were withdrawn from the market years ago.

S
SvenNYC Offline OP
Paul, wasn't there a time in the UK where the power authority had two different rates - one for lightbulbs (ceiling fixtures) and one for wall sockets?

I seem to recall reading that on someone's website...

Actually, if you think about it, having the sockets dangling from the ceiling (so you can plug things into them) is better from a child safety point of view. Almost no chance of Junior sticking paper clips and such into the receptacle. [Linked Image]

Of course if a heavier gauge of flexible wiring was used it would be better, instead of lamp cord. [Linked Image]

P
Sven,
Yes, back in the 1930s houses would often have two separate meters for lighting and "power." The cost per unit was actually higher for the lighting. I'm not sure when the last such system was abandoned, but perhaps it accounts for the British tradition of keeping lights on separate branch circuits.

Paul,
Is this sort of equipment still being found in the UK?, in older installations?.
Just wondering. [Linked Image]

P
It's getting much rarer than it used to be, but yes, I do still sometimes come across these BC adapters.

They seem to have survived most in the rather dubious-quality wiring found in many sheds and garages for some reason.

Paul,
The Equipment over here, has only ever been
BC22d, for connecting into existing BC lamp-holders, but, these were banned years ago,
I never actually saw an ES fitting, until a
GLS downlight hit town, over here. [Linked Image]

T
My electrician (weird old guy, has retired by now) once told me, one customer got these ES-to-outlet adaptors in Portugal and his guys used them for drilling etc in basements without receptacles. This guy also sold ungrounded receptacles and illegal 3way taps for ungrounded receptacles for a pretty long time. (this is where the ungrounded receptacle supplying my cell phone charger, reel-to-reel tape recorder, mini disc walkman, etc came from).

P
I never actually saw an ES fitting, until a GLS downlight hit town,

ES fittings used to be very rare in domestic fittings here, although you'd find them employed for higher-power spots, theatre lights etc.

The ES fitting for regular GLS 60 and 100W fixtures has become much more common in recent years with fittings sold right across Europe, but the BC type still reigns supreme. Many people here look upon ES bulbs as "those funny types."

The only real advantage I can see to BC over ES is that you don't have to worry about polarity -- A minor point.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard