ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 484 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Almost 4 1/2 years after the initial post I was able to answer this question... My dad found a book "Northern Bajuvarian Electrical Engineering" published by the VDE (75 yrs. Bajuvarian VDE from 1986), which is actually a very detailed history of electrical supply.

C-H, you weren't even that far off!
Diameter zweiteiliger Edison Schraubstöpsel
Actually the term was invented in 1906 and stands for: "diametral abgesetzter zweiteiliger Edison-Schraubstöpsel"
I nearly fell off my chair laughing...

My best attempt of a translation is: "diametrally stepped two-piece Edison screw plug".

It was the first industry standard fuse, replacing a large variety of fuse system, some similar to the US Edison fuses (which were seen as too expensive since the entire fuse with the screw thread had to be changed and hence was replaced by the two-piece screw cap+fuse insert system).

I
4 1/2 years and you still remembered that the question was unanswered.

Vielen Dank! [Linked Image]

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
T
Well, I had completely forgotten about that thread, but reading the explanation I suddenly remembered the discussion.

You're welcome!

M
Take a look at this website;
www.altechcorp.com

In here, they refer to diazed fuses as "bottle" fuses...

Any help?

Mike (mamills)

R
Hi guys,

It's very hard to find even on Gooogle what diazed or neozed actually means.
I can read German but even there I can't find the actual translation of Diazed.

I found this text under Siemens Brazil and try to paste the text here below.

Also the link is attached for further reading if anyone wants it.

Fuses
Diazed Fuses
DIAZED fuses are used to prevent short circuit in home, business and building electrical installations. When installed, they usually enable users to handle them removing the risk of accidental contact. They have usage category gL/gG and three sizes (DI, DII and DIII) to support rated current from 2 to 100A.

Neozed Fuses
NEOZED fuses are undersized and are applied to prevent short circuit in common home, business and industrial installations. The way they were built ensures full accidental contact protection when assembling or changing fuses.

NH Fuses
NH fuses applies to short circuit overcurrent and overload protection in industrial electrical installations. They are current limiters with high breaking capacity from 120kA up to 500VCA.

Source: http://www.siemens.com.br/templates/imprensa_mais.aspx?channel=2040&press_id=14483

Regards Raymond

The product of rotation, excitation and flux produces electricty.
T
Well, the only source where I found the real translation of Diazed was the book I quoted above. The German term is clear, only the translation to English might be a bit questionable.

diametrally stepped two-piece Edison screw plug
diamatrally stepped refers to the fact the tips have different tip diameters, stepping up with the amperage to prevent overfusing.
Two-piece is easy, it's fuse insert and screw cap. Edison... wel, E27 or E14 thread.
And plug... well, in the old days any kind of cartridge fuse used to be called plug fuse.
That's my translation of the official explanation.

NH fuses are commonly referred to as HRC fuses in the English speaking world.

W
You'll find sth. here in German :
Neither the Dutch nor the English related article explain the name of the diazed system.
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elektrische_Sicherung

Eine Schraubsicherung (auch Sicherungspatrone oder Schmelzsicherung) besteht aus einem zylinderähnlichen Keramikkörper. Schraubsicherungen werden in zwei verschiedenen Bauformen hergestellt. Es gibt das D-System ("Diazed": Diametral abgestuftes zweiteiliges Edisongewinde) und das D0-System ("Neozed"). Neozed-Sicherungen sind kleiner und erwärmen sich weniger, haben also eine kleinere Verlustleistung, als Diazed-Sicherungen.

So, at work!

[This message has been edited by Wolfgang (edited 05-10-2006).]

R
Vielen dank Texas Ranger und Wolfgang.

That German article explains it perfectly.

I didn't know there were even D V sizes in the old days.

This was and still is a great system for fuses, especially the colour coded indicators which popped out when a fuse blew.

On the higher rating 25 Amps and over sometimes a fuse could work itself loose and cause arcing within the base.

I got a 35 Amp fuse somewhere in my workshop with arcing marks.
If I find it in my archives I will make a photo of it.

Regards Raymond

The product of rotation, excitation and flux produces electricty.
T
Never seen D V, but once or twice I remember seeing D IV 100A service fuses in larger apartment buildings in Vienna.

D IV are pretty rare (a work mate even told me they're no longer sold in Austria), so sometimes people do strange things... I think two years ago, on Christmas Day said mate had service work. At 7 AM he got a call: "Apartment building, no apartment has power!" Going there he was already pretty sure they had a problem with thee main service. When he opened the service fuse box he got a real good laugh... some ingenious people had _stolen_ the fuses and screw caps!
Their luck they did it at night when there was no considerable load...

C
C-H Offline
Where can I get 13A DI fuses? Never heard of them before I saw the Wikipedia article.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard