ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 254 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
P
Oh no, not another system! [Linked Image]

I move that we should all just go with the American system forthwith to keep things simple!

T
Well, it seems to be an old system. (the device is 70ies or even earlier). Does anyone knows something about old or recent japanese color codes? I tried a google search and found absolutely nothing. I feel that this is still missing in our list.
GDR and Hungary go like old German/Austrian colors.
BTW, is cubrilo, our member from former Yugoslavia still around? I'd really like to know more about old yugoslavian wiring.

S
Somewhere I remember reading that Japanese flex color codes were the same as North American codes (black=live, white=neutral, green=earth).

In fact, yes! I remember where I read it! It was in a catalog for some company that supplies "International" power cords (Panel Components Corporation). The flex that this company sells for the Japanese market is North American color-coded.

Although considering how the USA is supposed to be switching to harmonized cordage, maybe Japan will do the same thing eventually (when we're all dead?)

Ragnar, I'd suggest replacing that power cord with a modern one...if only to prevent confusion for any future owners hooking the green conductor to earth....

T
Pretty unlikely...
rather the red one. In fact, green and yellow were both used as line and neutral colors before harmonization, but red was never used for anything but ground (and phase in a 3ph 4w delta w/o neutral but with ground, in this case ground was grey like otherwise the neutral would be, quite confusing)
Anyway, I don't think I'll replace it, I don't like replacing cords that are still in perfect shape.

F
paul uk yeah the colour code did indeed changed in 1970 in france to due the safty reason and it was a mess that time and now they really improve the safty on colour codes wise simuar to american system now yeah orange is for travller switches they still do that but in usa for trallver switches it is mixed bag as long it is indentify where it goes (for thhn's i use purple or brown depend what the situation)but the french 3 phase colour code is corret for 220/415 volts system for other voltages i will check with them see what i can come up

merci marc [Linked Image]

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

P
Alors, cela expliqué toutes les couleurs différentes que j'ai vu cité!

Merci beaucoup Marc.

Trumpy Offline OP
Paul,
I can't see an entry for Australia/New Zealand wire colours.
Maybe I overlooked this, I don't know.
May I be so indulgent as to include one?.

P
You're right! We don't seem to have included the "down under" color codes.

Aren't your colors pretty much the same as the British? I seem to recall that the only differences are that you didn't adopt the brown/blue "Euro" colors until later and that maybe you kept white for phase B instead of changing to yellow.

I have been known to be wrong, though! [Linked Image]

By all means post whatever comments you wish and we'll get Scott to add them to the "master list" is the tech. reference area.

Trumpy Offline OP
Paul,
Thanks for your reply,
Here it is though:
Aus/NZ:
Flex:Single Phase: Phase=Brown
Neutral: Blue
Earth: Green/Yellow
Flex:3Phase:Phase1=Brown
Phase2=White
Phase3=Black
Earth=Green/Yellow
Neutral(if required)= Blue
In flexes for VSD equipment, there are two ECC's and a Screen (Drain)

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 02-20-2003).]

P
And how about fixed cable colors?

Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard