ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
Broom Pusher and
Paul,

If we can build up a comprehensive list of standards, old and new,
then maybe we could get Scott to post them in the Technical
Reference area.

I missed this post! Sounds like a great idea [to compile a list and post in the tech reference area].

What sounds good for this: A simple list, a Color referenced type list, or something which shows detailed info - like Transformer setups with color coded inputs / outputs?

Let me know what you think. Feel free to contact me directly if needed by E-Mail at:

adst@pacbell.net

I'll copy the text from this thread.

P.S. is all the data in???

Scott s.e.t.

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
S
A worthy quest Scott.

me, i'd simply be happy with uniform grounding/noodle colors....i could figger the rest if i had to...

P
Uniform neutral color.....

U.S./Canada: White or gray
U.K.: Blue or black
Rest of Europe, depending upon country and age of wiring: Blue, black, white, red, gray, or who knows what else????

I say we recommend a new international standard neutral color of pink with yellow polkadots! [Linked Image]

Scott,
I just looked back at the thread -- I'm going to post a query about the old French system in the group that was mentioned. Maybe if I can get a reply on that question we'll have then covered the main systems in Europe, past and present.

Broom Pusher and
Cool.

I'll check this thread for said information and get things going ASAP [As Stupid As Popeye??? [Linked Image]...]

Scott s.e.t.

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
C
C-H Offline
CTwireman:

Flexes only. As you don't ship buildings around the world, it really doesn't matter what colour code you use in the fixed wiring. As long as all electricians in the area use the same, that is. [Linked Image] The US is a continent, more or less, and you don't have electricians coming over from Europe (or vice versa).

T
Wasn't there a post with a huge list of old european color codes somwhere? I can't seem to find it anymore.
I remember old swiss, russian and several other colors being mentioned, if that helps.

C
C-H Offline
Tex: Below I have reposted the information. (From the Austria 220/440V thread)
------
The text below is a slightly edited and shorted version of the following NG posting. Although it claims to apply to mains cords only, it seem to be valid for fixed wiring too.
-----
Andrew Emmerson (midshires@cix.compulink.co.uk)
Safety or heresy
rec.antiques.radio+phono
1995/10/17
------
Mains Cords
By this we mean flexible appliance wiring or line cords, not the fixed cable or wiring inside the walls. All colour code combinations are given in the order L, N, E: In other words line (live), neutral and earth (ground).

The current general standard is Brown, Blue, Yellow/Green striped and this is mandatory in most European countries and on items intended for sale in those countries. The colours were chosen not for their association (otherwise brown would be earth!) for reasons set up below.

Elsewhere in the world and also in Europe in previous times, these colour codings vary widely. The following combinations can be encountered. Again the order is L, N, E and the list is not intended to be exhaustive.

Belgium: Red, yellow or blue, Grey, Black.
Germany: Usually Grey, Black, Red.
Great Britain: Red, Black, Green.
Netherlands: Any colour but grey or red, Red, Grey.
Russia: Red, Grey, Black.
Switzerland: Red, Grey, Yellow or yellow/red.
USA, Canada: Black, White, Green.

The foregoing should make it clear why a unified colour coding of wires was necessary. Green is by no means the obvious colour for earth either:
before standard colours were adopted, earth was red in Austria, Finland, Germany, Norway, and Sweden; black in Belgium and Russia, grey in the Netherlands and Poland, yellow in Switzerland and green in Britain and North America. Three cheers for standardisation!

The choice of colours for the world-wide system was not arbitrary either; earth (ground) had to be distinguished and making it striped was an inspired choice. The other two colours had to be clearly distinguishable, even by people who suffer colour-blindness, and blue and brown were judged the most clearly different shades by experts in this field.

P
Does that entry for Germany have the black and gray the wrong way around?

I thought Ranger told us that it was black for line, gray for neutral.

Re the old French colors, I posted a question in the fr.rec.bricolage group, and we have started to get some answers:
Phase 1: Vert
Phase 2: Jaune
Phase 3: Marron
Neutre: Gris
terre: Blanc
Facile à se rappeler: printemps, été, automne, hiver, neige.
C'était les anciennes couleurs, mais, en quelle année ont-elles été
changées? Là j'ai un petit creux.
Another country that used green as a phase! I like the little aid to memory using the seasons. We could do with someone now who can remember when the new scheme was introduced into France.

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 11-24-2002).]

C
C-H Offline
Yes, it looks like grey and black should be the other way round for Germany. (I think!)

Vielleicht soll jemand in z.B. de.rec.heimwerken oder de.sci.ing.elektrotechnik fragen? Ich habe ja einmal da gefragt (über Sicherungen), aber mein Deutsch war offenbar zu schlecht. [Linked Image]

----
Let's see for France then:

Phase 1: Green
Phase 2: Yellow
Phase 3: Brown
Neutral: Grey
Earth: White
----

I see that you were recommended fr.sci.electrotechnique

I had a look in this NG and it seems to contain much information. Perhaps we should try to attract some Frenchmen to ECN?

[This message has been edited by C-H (edited 11-24-2002).]

T
It was according to ALL sources (old and new) grey as neutral, black as line.
Obviously this document is incorrect here.

Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard