ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#133746 09/14/02 03:23 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Just a quick quiz of members.
Do you always perform all of the tests
required of you on each job?.
Who police's this for you?.
Your input please.

#133747 09/14/02 08:55 AM
P
O.K., you've got me! If I've just wired in an extra light or something like that, then I don't always go through the full set of tests. I'll check polarity, earth continuity, etc., but probably not a full loop-impedance test if I know the cable runs to be well under the lengths at which this could be a concern.

#133748 09/16/02 01:49 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Paul,
I'm only curious.
Over here we have a consumer programme on TV, it is called Target,and 9 times out of 10,they show members of our (NZ) electrical
trade, doing the simplest of tasks, this could be fitting a socket-outlet in what we over here call, back-to-back,but even with a
simple job like this, all of the prescribed tests are required, if this is not done,
(on national TV), scathing remarks are made,
by the hosts of the show.
Let me clarify this show, they select a few
trades people out of the Yellow pages, in a
given city or town, they then fit hidden
cameras to the house in question and then
take their results from the images shown
and the invoice recieved for the job.
Do any other countries have a show like this?. [Linked Image]

#133749 09/16/02 02:42 PM
P
Oh yes! We have a show in England called "Rogue Traders." Your show sounds very similar.

Some of the things that they query are debatable, although some of the things that the rogues they've caught on film do are inexcusable.
https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum9/HTML/000038.html

#133750 09/17/02 03:43 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Paul,
Have just read your "Rogue Traders" sideline message, this is not good at all,it is an underhand tactic in the worse possible means.
Oddly enough,Paul, the "Target" progamme, has never ever been to the South Island of New Zealand, maybe they have, and could not find anything wrong with our practices down here, this is after all sensationalist TV?.
[Linked Image]

#133751 09/17/02 05:49 PM
P
Maybe the greater hussle & bustle of the North Island makes for more prospects? Or maybe the crew didn't want the long trip!

I don't suppose they've been to Stewart Island, then? [Linked Image]

#133752 10/06/02 10:59 AM
D
Testing, do you?
Yes, even adding a back to back socket!
The minimum requirement here is: insulation resistance, earth loop impedance (this is the most important, as a break in the external earthing facility from the power co. may not be detectable without this test) & RCD trip time, if an RCD is present.
Also a check should be made to ensure there is main bonding of water, gas etc.
These tests are mandatory to comply with BS 7671 (IEE Wiring Regs.).
A minor works certificate should be issued for such a job, the above test results need to be provided on the certificate.
In Scotland, compliance with BS 7671 has the force of law behind it, as it is cited in Scottish Building Regs, unlike England.
This does not mean that everybody abides by the Wiring Regs, but as a member of SELECT (The Scottish Electrical Contractors' Association), I am are required to, and try my best to comply.
We do have a huge problem with DIY electrics in this county, but that is another story and I am not going to get on my soap box right now.

David

#133753 10/08/02 01:43 PM
P
David,
You've raised a couple of interesting points that I was going to quiz you about!

As you've stated, down here in Sassanach-land compliance with the IEE Regs/BS7671 is not a legal requirement for residential wiring (commercial is different, as it would now come under the auspices of the Health & Safety at Work Act).

I've seen the statements before about the IEE Regs. being quoted by Building Regularions in Scotland (not sure when that came about, but I think there's a note to that effect in my old 1966 edition).

My question: How widely do the Building Regs. in Scotland apply? Obviously a new building or some major renovation involving planning consent etc. would fall into the net, but what about just an electrical rewire? In England, that would have nothing whatever to do with Building Regs. and therefore any such Regs. would not apply.

How would this work under Scottish law? In other words, does it mean that any works that don't involve Building Regs. therefore don't have to legally comply with BS7671?

Legalities aside, does anybody actually enforce compliance with IEE Regs. in Scotland for residential work? Does this come under the jurisdiction of the general building inspector, or is there a separate inspection?

(As you may have gathered, despite traveling half way around Europe and having worked in the States etc., I've never actually been to Scotland, much less done any wiring up there!)

#133754 10/09/02 01:21 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Paul
Cannot say much about Scotland, mate, as I have never been there. [Linked Image]

#133755 10/09/02 02:20 PM
P
No problem Trumpy. I was hoping we could get our new member David to post some notes on any major differences he's noticed in installations and practices north of the border.

David, feel free to start new threads on any topic!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard