ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 510 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
The Ryobi is ok for what it is. I had one and it lasted a hell of a lot longer than I expected. Needless to say, this drill had a rough life from day one.

You get what you pay for.

S
single speed dewalt's are at wallyworld for $49, 2 batteries.....

C
CRW Offline
I've never heard anything so stupid! I could see getting the meter, but not the shovel or tape, benders, etc. The drill even makes sense more than the other things. Aside from the drill and the meter, I'd say no to anything else, and look for another contractor. At your level of experience, I'd recommend that you contact your local union hall and apply for an apprenticeship there.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Chuck,
Ordinarily I am pretty particular about my tools, usually buying the big name professional ones. However about 3 years ago the big orange store was having a sidewalk sale and among the stuff they were getting rid of were 2 incomplete Ryobi tool sets. I ended up with a homeowner type drill, a contractor drill, a cordless saw, four batteries, one charger and a flashlight all for $125.00. I didn't expect the drills to last long but guess what? They are still going strong. One battery has died and the others don't last quite as long as they used to but they still do the job. The only problem I see is when the batteries die I will need to spend $50.00 each to replace them (14.4). I could actually buy the $79 drill and that comes with 2 batteries and get off cheaper.By the way, the saw is pretty much useless except for moldings etc.

T
I frequently visit an auction web site www.ubid.com where I have purchased 18 volt drills for as little as 18 dollars. A dollar a volt... the battery technology is not the greatest but for $18 it's a good value.

R
Chucky, first of all buying meters, and benders will come in handy later. But paint and tape is rediculous.

Now as for a good tool reveiw, go hear http://www.woodworking2.org/ToolSurvey/Portables/Drills/search.htm

Just use the drop down menus.(MAKE and TYPE) you don't have to put in model #'s. Also select reviews with additional comments

Roger

[This message has been edited by Roger (edited 09-03-2002).]

D
i have a 18v robyi screw gun that i had for 3yrs, it has seen some hard work. very happy with it, hate to see it go someday.

G
chuck, i dont requireany of my guys to furnish any tools other than what they can carry in their tool pouch. i furnish everything else....thats the way its supposed to be. your boss is taking advantage of you, in my opinion.!.. [Linked Image]

btw, we use porter-cable almost exclusively.....biggest reason is, P/C has a factory reconditioned tool center close to our shop, and i have a business account there... [Linked Image]....and, they make pretty good stuff, even the rebuilt stuff is durable as hell.... [Linked Image]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard